1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android 4.04 SMS messaging delete bug

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by pentel, Aug 1, 2013.

1. pentel

pentel Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    I have a Nexus S on Android 4.04. This version of Android has a SMS messaging delete bug. The bug happens when you try to delete a message other than the first message in the "thread". Android 4.04 will delete the first message instead of the message that you want to delete.

For example, suppose you have a thread with 5 messages. You want to delete the 5th message and keep the first four messages. When you select the 5th message in the "thread" to delete, Android will delete the first message instead of the 5th message. This only happens the first time you have Messaging "launched". If you try to delete the 5th message (which is the 4th message now) after the initial delete, Android will delete the 5th message correctly. But if you quit Messaging and relaunch Messaging, the bug will reoccur the first time you delete a message.

I tried googling to see if this bug has been fixed but there is very little info on this bug. I want to keep using this Nexus S phone. According to Wikipedia, the Nexus S phone is upgradable to 4.1.2 Jelly Bean.

My question is anyone aware of this Android 4.04 messaging delete bug and does Android 4.1.2 Jelly Bean fixes the issue?

Advertisement

2. new optimus

new optimus Android Expert
    None

Mar 10, 2011
    Jax Fl
    Hi pentel, I think getting someone with the phone to see this would be a great idea, I will move this to the Nexus S section of the forum for you.

pentel likes this.
  3. pentel

pentel Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    Thank you, new optimus.

Anyone with Nexus S experienced what I described? I googled many times over the years and find nothing on this issue except this thread which has no answer as well.

Nexus S was originally pre-installed with Android 2.3.4, when updated to Android 4.04, this SMS messaging delete bug occurs.

Has anyone has this issue? Is this resolved now?

4. BecomingDeath

BecomingDeath Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    Male
    Anderson, SC
    I don't think I've ever had that issue. I'm running 4.1.1 and just attempted to do what is problematic for you. If it was a bug it does appear that it has been fixed.

pentel likes this.
  5. pentel

pentel Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 1, 2011
    Thanks for the info. Good to know that SMS delete bug has been fixed in Android 4.1.x.

Just to clarify, this is deleting a particular message from the list of messages within a conversation (I used the term "thread" earlier).

6. BecomingDeath

BecomingDeath Newbie
    None

Jul 26, 2013
    Male
    Anderson, SC
    Yeah, I went in and deleted the most recent. The first message in the thread stayed present so it does seem to function properly. The correct message was removed.

pentel likes this.
Tags: