• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.2.1 - Background processes keep running :(

awaixjvd

Lurker
May 30, 2014
Hi
I need some information regarding Android. I am using Huawei Ascend G610-U20 with Android version 4.2.1
I was using stock ROM and stock theme. No launcher installed and no themes used. When i touch and hold the menu button (one of three main buttons, return-home-menu) i am given the list of applications running in background. I quit the application which i am not using so that it doesn't hog in memory and keep eating the battery. I only keep phone and text in use. Otherwise once i have used the app, i exit it from the background running processes.
Recently i installed Dodol launcher. It is running fine and nothing wrong. Just when i press-hold menu button i see no applications running in background (because i have exited all the apps from background) but when i go to launcher and click "running" apps it shows me a huge list of apps running in background. I click on broom icon to clear them. It does but they again appear after few moments. They keep using the RAM. SOMETIMES my phone become too sluggish when i am typing in Viber or even Text app.

Why is this difference? That i exit the app from menu-hold but in launcher it shows apps running. Can anyone please guide me.
I will be very thankful to you.

Regards
Awais.

Why is this difference? That i exit the app from menu-hold but in launcher it shows apps running.

Android's Recent Apps only shows just that.... recently-used apps. Your launcher shows all running processes, many of which are essential to the OS and therefore cannot be 'killed' normally, as they will simply restart.

Upvote 0
Android's Recent Apps only shows just that.... recently-used apps. Your launcher shows all running processes, many of which are essential to the OS and therefore cannot be 'killed' normally, as they will simply restart.

Thanks for the kind reply but whats the purpose of viber or whatsapp or camera app running itself in the background even though i have killed it's process.
facebook
messenger
settings
twitter
youtube
sim card tool kit

All of these are running in the background even though i have never used the youtube app ever.

Upvote 0
Android is meant to auto-load services and core apps automatically. the more apps you have installed the more that attempt to fit into memory until it reaches a limit and that's where the infamous 'Android Lag' comes from. it's by design and trying to circumvent it will only grant more problems.

Facebook will load into the background not as the app, but its services for notifications, messages, etc. that way when you get notified of a comment, it can show it on your phone. services such as Messages, Phone, Contacts work similarly, ready to alert you of incoming calls, text messages, or syncing with your Google/Facebook/whatever network contacts.

Google apps such as YouTube tend to load and chew through data without warning, no surprise there. expect to see Play Store, Play Music and the rest showing as well. if you don't use them, i suggest disabling them in settings.

Reactions: awaixjvd
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones