• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.3 comes with App Ops: WHY has this not being talked about?!?!!??!

The thing we have to remember is that the vast majority of these permissions are needed for the app to function properly. a simple example is "access to calls" or whatever. The app has to know when someone calls so it can go to sleep. I think when people mess around with these settings theyl realise more why certain permissions are needed :beer:

What funky said is important and also, I believe, the reason why Google doesn't allow easy access to App Ops. If people just started pulling permissions, the apps won't function. I bet a lot of people would pull "location" access from Maps and then wonder why Maps sucks so bad.

Whenever I add an app or update it, I check the permissions and pull where I see appropriate. Then I check the app to make sure it works. So far, I haven't crashed anything.

(Then again, COME ON Angry Birds! You want my location?)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones