1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 4.3 Jelly Bean to 4.4 KitKat: is it worth it?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by heptagram, Oct 19, 2014.

1. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Hello! :)

I am having a Samsung Galaxy S3 (GT-I9300) with Android version 4.3 and was wondering whether it is worth the cares of updating manually to version 4.4 Kitkat?

Thank you for your response.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Officially 4.3 is the last firmware for a GT-I9300, however there are custom 4.4.x (x = 4, 3 or 2) ROMs for it. Choose one carefully and follow all the instructions to the letter for installing it. Any confusion in the instructions and come back here with the link to the chosen ROM and your questions and I'll be happy to help.

3. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Thank you for your response, dynomot!

Is it true, that such unofficial firmware updates can void the warranty of the phone... I mean, can such unofficial tampering with the firmware lead to disastrous effects on the phone? Is it worth it?

I am new to the smartphone usage and feel genuinely confused as to should I try this manual update or not.

Sincerely,
    heptagram.

4. dynomot

dynomot Android Expert

Yes, installing custom firmwares does void your warranty. Flashing ROMs, modifications, rooting (think admin rights to everything) etc. your phone can also can destroy your phone (software) making it a shiny lump of electronics, ie a "brick", but you would have to something completely stupid, rather than make a mistake, to do so.

If your new to smartphones, and Android in particular, get to know your device, play with it, etc and most importantly, and I'm not being flippant or sarcastic here, read here and use Google. If I were you I'd use your phone and not try updating or modifying it yet, the Galaxy SIII is, even today a fine and decent smartphone.

We all were completely new to smartphones and Android once, if you have any question, no matter how silly you think it is - ask.

5. heptagram

heptagram Newbie

Thank you for your response, dynomot, I appreciate it.

I will take your advice not to tamper with the firmware until I attain the necessary experience.

Sincerely,
    heptagram.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews