1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android 4.3 update killed Javascript

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by cousjcc, Jan 1, 2014.

1. cousjcc

cousjcc Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2014
    Ok so after declining the stupid update alert from sprint I finally gave up and accepted it to get rid of the alert.

It's technically an optional update I guess, but even if you decline the update it just keeps asking you to accept it EVERY time you unlock the screen, and there's no way to shut off the update alert permanently. It becomes such a nuissance you wind up accepting it just to stop the alerts.

At any rate, I accepted the update and now I cannot use Javascript on the built-in android webbrowser, which I'm assuming is a pared-down version of Google chrome.

This means I cannot access most of the content on the gaming websites I frequent like TrueAchievements, because none of the javascript buttons work. I can't even click on a USPS tracking link on one of my ebay purchases because it's an imbedded link and needs Java. Hell, I can't even use the track button on USPS's main website.

It's absolutely infuriating and leaves my web browser virtually useless.

Phone: Samsung Galaxy S3
    Android version: 4.3
    Basebrand version: L710VPUCMK3
    Kernel version: 3.0.31-2034598
    Hardware version: L710.14

I've checked the advanced settings on the web browser and Javascript IS enabled. Yet websites like Microsoft.com and others tell me "Javascript required to sign in" - Microsoft account requires Javascript to sign in. this web browser either does not support JavaScript, or scripts are being blocked.

I'm at a loss here, any help would be greatly appreciated. The talking heads at Sprint give me the usual "did you power cycle your phone? Try that again... etc" BS.

I can factory reset the phone but I'd rather not have to do that, as getting everything tweaked the way I like it and getting rid of all the shit you don't need on phones is a PITA.

I have tried the ##72786# thing to do the auto-fix of data issues to no avail.

Edit: I have previously rooted phones so I'm sorta techno savvy, not a complete noob, and this is stumping me. It was an HTC Evo, FWIW. My S3 is NOT rooted, although I'm considering doing that so I can circumvent this kind of BS and stop being forced to download updates.

Advertisement

2. mydian

mydian Android Expert

Apr 8, 2012
    Male
    2-Way Radio Repair Technician
    Chicagoland
    Try a different browser like Dolphin or Boat.

3. timlitw

timlitw Member
    None

Nov 10, 2009
    or even Chrome

4. prj

prj Android Enthusiast
    None

May 26, 2010
    Go into the Android Recovery HOME/POWER/VOLUME UP and wipe the cache and do a factory reset.

I did that a few weeks ago on both my phone and my wifes phone and the alert hasn't come back.

Word of warning to those thinking about 4.3 update...DON'T DO IT!!