1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android 4.4 Kitkat

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bjacks12, Oct 31, 2013.

?

Are you upgrading?

1. Hell yeah! Hurry up and post those images Google!

19 vote(s)
    35.8%
  2. Sure, when the OTA hits.

24 vote(s)
    45.3%
  3. I'm going to hold off until it's proven.

8 vote(s)
    15.1%
  4. WTH is KitKat?

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Ok folks, 4.4 has been officially announced and the Nexus 5 is in the Play Store.

For those of us who are staying behind and keeping our beloved 4's, what do you most look forward to in KitKat? Do you plan to update as soon as the OTA hits? Are you going to wait a few weeks to see if there are any issues? Or are you impatient like me, and probably going to grab the factory image?

I'm looking forward to the new UI, better cloud integration, and SMS/Hangouts integration. I will probably be downloading the factory image and flashing it.

EDIT: Looks like images come after the OTA is done :( . I guess I'll be waiting a couple weeks to get KitKat.

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...n-the-coming-weeks-following-respective-otas/

2. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Not looking forward to anything , yet. I'll wait to upgrade till SSU & TWRP are updated for KitKat.

3. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

I'm waiting for the Key Lime Pie. :)

SlyFerret likes this.
  4. SiempreTuna

SiempreTuna Android Expert

Have to say, the N5 looks good .. I'm actually tempted.

No! No!

Remember how tight you are!

parthshrey likes this.
  5. ooberandy

ooberandy Android Enthusiast

I'm upgrading as soon as the OTA is available. While the Nexus 5 looks great, I wasn't wowed enough to change yet. I'll prob wait for the Nexus 6 (here officially starts the countdown to it).

On a side note I've had my google+ photos app change to a 'photos' app. Looks pretty good :)

6. lunatic59

lunatic59 Moderati ergo sum

Since LTE/4g isn't available for me out here in the boonies, no point in going to the 5 (yet). Maybe I'll wait until next year and pick one up on the cheap right before the 6 launches. In any case, I'm jumping on 4.4 as soon as it's out. Just because. :)

7. SlyFerret

SlyFerret Android Enthusiast

I'll upgrade as soon as I'm prompted. I'm not itching to upgrade my handset quite yet. Don't much need LTE. I'm on Wi-Fi almost 100% of the time.

-SF

8. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Yeah, no LTE here either for me on AT&T. T-Mo just lit up, so I guess I could switch, but then my coverage wouldn't be as wide. The Nexus 4 does 100% of everything I need. But I am super anxious for 4.4 to come out.

9. mysticalnyte

mysticalnyte Well-Known Member

Since I have a rooted Nexus 4 and am going to root the 5 when I get it, the custom ROM of my choice should have 4.4 ready to flash.

10. JunBringer

JunBringer Android Expert

I'm hoping to get a Nexus 5 since my wife is using my Nexus 4 and she said she'd eventually replace it. *crosses fingers

She'll be waiting for OTA though. I'm not going to mess with her phone.

11. hstroph

hstroph Android Enthusiast

That was one of the things that made me want to buy the N4, the pushed updates asap.

12. 2prevail

2prevail Android Enthusiast

I got the nexus so I wouldn't have to wait for the updates months after they come out. As soon as I see that glorious system update notification I'm pressing it!

parthshrey likes this.
  13. B4tnam

B4tnam Well-Known Member

Already running 4.4... It has alot of under the hood changes that most people won't notice, but they all help :]

14. 2prevail

Where'd you get a ROM and if you didn't than is there some secret OTA already out? Lol

15. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

I was running 4.4 all day yesterday. I like it a lot so far.

Gsam battery FC's as I open it. Mobie never fully opens. Titanium back up doesn't restore SMS/MMS.

If you don't use stock launcher you lose the ability to start Google now from the home screen by saying "OK Google." The transparency is also lost without the stock launcher.

I am back on 4.2 for now until I can get my SMSs from my son who just died.

16. 2prevail

Sorry for your loss

MacFett likes this.
  17. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

According to the Android 4.4 user manual, only the Nexus 5 will get the new Google Home launcher. Us N4 users are going to be stuck with the same launcher we're using now. This put a huge damper on the enthusiasm I've had so far.

18. lunatic59

Officially. Let the romming begin. ;)

19. MacFett

MacFett Android Expert

The ROM I'm using has the n5 launcher. Looks beautiful but has 0 customizations.

Got my SMS problem fixed so for the foreseeable future in on 4.4.

20. SiempreTuna

Bizarre that the new launcher will only be available on the N5 - don't understand why they would do that :thinking:

Has that happened in the past?

21. John Bean

John Bean Happy Wanderer

If they gave everything the new model's UI offers in updates to existing models they would lose many potential upgraders.

This is tax-avoiding Google after all; money is the name of the game.

22. SiempreTuna

I guess .. though I thought the Nexus range's USP was that you got the latest and greatest direct from Google. If that's no longer the case, that is surely going to put off as many people as it persuades to upgrade :thinking:

23. lunatic59

I'm sure Google will provide a technical reason for not providing the launcher in the N4 update and the dev's will quickly prove them wrong. Personally that is one of the new features I can do without.

24. lion7718

lion7718 Android Enthusiast

Same here, but they could also release it at a later date.

25. bjacks12

bjacks12 Android Expert

Agreed.

Now with the Nexus you stand likely to just have your phone axed from support (GNex) or be left in limbo with your thumb up your arse wondering when/if your phone will get the update and how neutered it will be when you do get it.

Nexus 4 Forum

The Nexus 4 release date was November 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.7" inch screen, 8MP camera, 2GB RAM, Snapdragon S4 Pro processor, and 2100mAh battery.

November 2012
Release Date
Reviews