• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 4.4 Kitkat

Are you upgrading?

• Hell yeah! Hurry up and post those images Google!

Votes: 19 35.8%
  • Sure, when the OTA hits.

Votes: 24 45.3%
  • I'm going to hold off until it's proven.

Votes: 8 15.1%
  • WTH is KitKat?

Votes: 2 3.8%

• Total voters
One of the reasons I went through the cluster that was the N4 release was because I wanted the phone that would get the latest and greatest Android updates for at least two release cycles. Now things on that front are looking grim. Very disappointing.

Isn't it lovely to know less than HTC owners about when/if your phone will be updated? :(

Upvote 0
Bizarre that the new launcher will only be available on the N5 - don't understand why they would do that :thinking:

Has that happened in the past?

Nope, were gonna end up getting a cross between the 4.4 launcher and the 4.3 launcher. At least until google makes the “experience launcher” available to everyone. Why Google is not giving us all of kitkat I do not know but what I do know is that my Nexus 4 is a year younger than the 5 and deserves all the same features. I as well as others did not spend $200 + to get skimped on updates -_-

Upvote 0
what I do know is that my Nexus 4 is a year younger than the 5 and deserves all the same features. I as well as others did not spend $200 + to get skimped on updates -_-

Do the words New and Improved mean anything to you?

The one thing that's a constant is progress.

If everything old were upgraded to like new, there'd be no progress now would there?

Why would anyone replace a N4 with a N5 if they both had the same capabilities?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

Reactions: alfick3
Upvote 0
i guess if you want the newest OS first you literally have to have the latest nexus -_-

I fixed that statement for you. Updates for Android were never promised to be released immediately and simultaneously over all devices. As a matter of fact, Google rolls out the updates regionally over a few weeks to keep the update servers from bogging down.

As soon as the official updates start rolling out some kind soul will post the update file to a public share and link it so anyone who doesn't want to wait for the OTA can apply it manually. What Google does say is that as soon as the new OS version is ready, it will be released to everyone at the same time. It puts manufacturers and carriers behind the curve because then they have to modify it for their devices. Nexus owners will get the updates first.

Google has always released the latest Nexus device with the latest OS. Updates for existing Nexus devices start rolling about a month later over a 3 or four week period (at least that's the way it seems to be in my region). Legacy devices will be dropped when the hardware no longer can support the current OS. As much as I'd like my Nexus One to run JB, an 800 x 480 screen, 512MB of internal ram and a single core processor just isn't going to cut it.

Where Google doesn't want to tread, the Android community continues to rock and roll. I've got JB running on a Galaxy 1 and an old Asus tablet that were never scheduled for the updates. I'm sure if KitKat can run on a Gnex, some developers will get together and make the rom available. If not, then it has reached a reasonable EOL.

Upvote 0

If everything old were upgraded to like new, there'd be no progress now would there?

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

While I partly agree with that, I'd rather wait for the greater increase that will come with the nexus 6 :)

Upvote 0

Bruce in Ocala, Fl

I can understand if it was on a hardware level, but its not. Its strictly software. What makes 4.3 stand out on the Nexus 4 over the Galaxy Nexus? Nothing. Why should kitkat be any different from the Nexus 5 and Nexus 4 is what I'm saying. A good example though I hate to say it of new and improved is the iPhone 5s. New touch id scanner (hardware level) and ios7. The iPhone 5 got ios7 and is still identical to the iPhone 5s on a software level. Of course apple is not going to have a recall on all iPhone 5 models to add a touch id scanner, their just going to say buy the 5s. And people will do it because they realize that the scanner is hardware. The Nexus 5 is a great hardware improvement, but nothing that pops out at you that says “I AM DIFFERENT” (unless you count the OIS camera). Your right, progress is a constant, but by dropping features on a 1 year old device how do you show progression? Instead you show that the Nexus line of devices is not as unified as it was believed to be. I saw a Galaxy Nexus unlocked running 4.2 for $200. I saw a Nexus 4 running 4.2 for $300. What made me spend that extra hundred on the nexus 4? The fact that I could say I have the latest device. They were both identical software wise, but it was that thought of having the latest toy that pushed me towards it. That's just about every consumer too. How many people do you see walking out of the sprint store on a new 2 year contract with an S2 (they still have it as an option -_-)? No one. Why? Because that behemoth called the s4 with its 5' inch screen and 13 mega pixel camera (hardware) was shouting at them. It was also a big software upgrade from 4.1on the S2 so its understandable. But we are talking about an increment update. If the N4 has the proper hardware, why not let me say okay Google Now from my screen or enjoy my transparent bars. I don't want a piece of the kitkat, I want the whole damn candy bar!

Upvote 0
Me, too!

But then, I am a greedy so-and-so :D

The strange thing is that KitKat's headline new feature is that it will run on lower spec devices - devices with as little as 512MB RAM which incidentally, is what is on the original Nexus - yet the one bit of eye candy it provides isn't available on what are still fairly high end phones? They're really saying a phone with a quad core processor and 2GB of RAM is incapable of running a launcher?

Upvote 0
Me, too!

But then, I am a greedy so-and-so :D

The strange thing is that KitKat's headline new feature is that it will run on lower spec devices - devices with as little as 512MB RAM which incidentally, is what is on the original Nexus - yet the one bit of eye candy it provides isn't available on what are still fairly high end phones? They're really saying a phone with a quad core processor and 2GB of RAM is incapable of running a launcher?

Someone managed to port JB 4.2 to the Nexus one, I'm pretty sure our powerhouse could handle a little launcher. Google needs to stick to the old script because this new direction is a little stupid. If you want to promote your latest device, put advertisements on TV. I can not remember ever seeing a Nexus 4 commercial nor have I seen one for the Nexus 5. And don't worry, we're all greedy XD lol

Upvote 0
The Nexus 7 and 10 started receiving the update tonight. Google is promising an update for the 4 and the 7 LTE 'soon'. So look to start seeing that in a month or so.

Screenshots are suggesting that transparent bars are nonexistent in 4.4 except for the Nexus 5. I feel like there isn't much difference in this upgrade vs the 4.2 -> 4.3 upgrade.

Upvote 0
The Nexus 7 and 10 started receiving the update tonight. Google is promising an update for the 4 and the 7 LTE 'soon'. So look to start seeing that in a month or so.

Screenshots are suggesting that transparent bars are nonexistent in 4.4 except for the Nexus 5. I feel like there isn't much difference in this upgrade vs the 4.2 -> 4.3 upgrade.

Sound like you have a lot of reading to do. ;)Everything thats new in 4.4:
http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/1...stories-on-kitkat-4-4-and-the-nexus-5-launch/

4.4 has way more in it than a launcher and transparent nav bars. Sit back and enjoy the ride man :) Its coming.

It said the update for other device would be "in the coming weeks".

Samsung and HTC said 15 days for their Google edition phones, so you can bet around that time if not sooner.

Note- it was 15 days from launch of KK. So 14 days would be this Thursday

Reactions: Banished Angel
Upvote 0
The most interesting thing is the audio tunneling .. which only works on the N5. And will only work on that for the forseeable future as it's hardware.

Everything else: so exciting that despite just having read the article, I can't remember any of it!

So .. the two best bits of 4.4? Only available on the 5.

Kinda disappointing.

Upvote 0
The moment I found out I'm not getting the new 4.4 KK look on my Nexus 4, I was very, very disappointed.. I know there are more important performance improvements than just the looks, but still... :( Google disappointed me this time..
You guys were too quick to judge ;)

The Google edition launcher is available in 4.1+ with the Google search update

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones