• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 5.0 and 5.0.1 on LG Nexus 4

Hello everyone, I just wanted to share my experience with the new android 5.0 or 5.0.1.

In both cases my phone just didnt work as expected, It restarts again and again, multiple hangs and crashes in applications, Line, Camera app crashes and restarts the phone even the launcher crashes and restarts.

I am very dissapointed with the update, google just ignores the multilpe complains from users. So I switched back to 4.4.4 KitKat wich works really nice. No crashes an any app, the camera works great too.

Please comment this post if you have similar experinces with the update.

BTW, the update does not include google now launcher... What were they thinking!!!

Hi @Jesus Arvizu and welcome to Android Forums :)

Sorry to hear that 5.0 gave you such fits! I haven't had any major issues with Lollipop on my N4; lately it's actually been more stable for me than before the update.

Did you upgrade to 5.0 by installing an over-the-air update or did you flash the factory image? If OTA, did you try performing a Factory Reset before reverting back to KK? Doing so does seem to have cleared up some issues for certain users.

BTW, you can easily grab the Google Now launcher from the Play Store: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.launcher

Reactions: funkylogik
Upvote 0
The move from 4.4 -> 5.0 is probably the biggest change that Android has ever seen, and the move from the Dalvik runtime to the Android Run Time environment means that every application has to essentially be recompiled during the upgrade. Particularly if you have a lot of applications installed, that upgrade process can encounter problems with corrupted caches - which would cause apps to crash or otherwise cause mayhem. So it's pretty much just lingering bad/stale/corrupt data that is gumming up the gears of the upgraded OS.

Performing a factory reset and cleanly reinstalling your apps post-update can help clear out all that gunk to make sure you're starting from a known-good state. You will lose your apps and data, so you'll probably want to use an application like Helium to back up what you need. There's some additional guidance in this post that you may also want to read. Let me know if you have any questions about the process. I generally try to do a full reset for any major OS update just to be safe, and that policy has served me pretty well.

BTW, the Google Now Launcher being separate from the OS means that it can be updated more frequently via the Play Store without requiring another major OS release. (Also BTW, the Google Now Launcher is really just a "hook" for the Google Search app which allows it to be set as your home screen. So a lot of the updates that the Google Search app gets are actually updates/fixes for the launcher.) That would be possible if it was bundled with the OS like the factory launcher.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones