• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android 8.1 drive me insane...

Hi
I bought this one: https://de.aliexpress.com/item/1005002685398006.html
I need them just when I ride my Scooter and need the Here Map and VLC for listen Music.
VLC Working perfect on my first try. Well... when it come to other Software I am not that lucky.

APKPure dont download any Software Updates but see the Mobile Website work there.
I put a Micro SD Card in and let the Phone Format them. The claim that a 128GB work and i dont try a bigger one. So In here I cant select the Micro SD Card. I try to set in the Setting put them on the Micro SD Card and the moved the Files but not see them. I want, need Download the Map Data as on my Phone.
The Kaspersky QR SCanner dont work either. It open and crash immediately. I guess the try to write something somewhere and cant so the crash?! When I am be quick and click on Settings the open and it run there until i close the settings and the crash...
I cant move the Icons? Why? Is there a way to move the Icons? I delete some unneeded stuff so there are some Icons are removed.
Thanks!

If you're trying to use this cheapo "Feature Phone" as a full-blown Android smart-phone, quite frankly I'm not surprised it's driving you insane!

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 08.48.10.png

Forget trying to install fancy apps, this cheap feature-phone is not intended for that. It's running a very lobotomised version of Android, that can run on such a low-specced device. that's why you can't move the icons around. You're meant to use the phone as is, for phone calls, and messaging, some web browsing, a very simple camera, and maybe can play some basic games.

Here in China these feature-phones are sometimes used by the elderly, who might just need a basic cheap phone .
Think of a basic Nokia Symbian phone from circa 2003, that could play Snake, that's pretty much what this phone is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you're trying to use this cheapo "Feature Phone" as a full-blown Android smart-phone, quite frankly I'm not surprised it's driving you insane!

View attachment 160280

Forget trying to install fancy apps, this cheap feature-phone is not intended for that. It's running a very lobotomised version of Android, that can run on such a low-specced device. that's why you can't move the icons around. You're meant to use the phone as is, for phone calls, and messaging, some web browsing, a very simple camera, and maybe can play some basic games.

Here in China these feature-phones are sometimes used by the elderly, who might just need a basic cheap phone .
Think of a basic Nokia Symbian phone from circa 2003, that could play Snake, that's pretty much what this phone is.
are they really called "feature phone" ????because i see no "features" that i would brag about.

Reactions: mikedt and Dannydet
Upvote 0
are they really called "feature phone" ????because i see no "features" that i would brag about.

It apparently features a Russian(Cyrillic) keyboard, as the first bullet point. Perhaps the OP wants to brag about that? :oops:

"feature phone" is something in between a dumb-phone, and a smart-phone.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
you have a cheap chinese off brand android device.
Well I dont see any other Device like this from other Company. I would say a Android Device like that would cost XXX Time more but dont perform better: https://hytera-europe.com/products/pnc380
it only has 1gb of ram!!!!!!
Yes is that bad? Sound that much for me for a device who just run 2, 3 different Software at the same Time.
as a full-blown Android smart-phone
Nope I just install Here, APKPure, Firefox (for login to a Public Wifi) and the Kaspersky QR Scanner and yes I forgott about the Software who can send my Position to my own (upcomming) Server.
and maybe can play some basic games.
I dont need them.
When I remember at my Nokia N95 8GB damn that was a fast beast with much less CPU and Ram and so!
because i see no "features"
Very Rugged, "small" for a Rugged one, Touchscreen (the Hytera dont have any), a PTT Button and "Open" to install Software on it (in comparison to Hytera).
Go get yourself a decent phone running Android 11 or 12 for Pete's sake.
I have a Huawei P30 Pro and I dont want to destroy it when I fall with my Scooter and its to expensive in the case someone steal it.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
When I remember at my Nokia N95 8GB damn that was a fast beast with much less CPU and Ram and so!

I had an N95 as well. :) Which was Nokia's top-end flagship phone at the time, and wasn't cheap either. Unfortunately Symbian was a "burning platform". https://www.engadget.com/2011-02-08...rallies-troops-in-brutally-honest-burnin.html ...and now Nokia makes Android phones, and is a fraction of its former self.

Android is very crippled on devices with only 1GB RAM, and 8GB storage, on cheapo devices like that AGM M7 from Ali Express. That sort of phone retails for about the equivalent of $30-40 here in China. And is generally bought by the elderly and peasantry, who might need a phone to just communicate with, nothing fancy.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have a Huawei P30 Pro and I dont want to destroy it when I fall with my Scooter and its to expensive in the case someone steal it.

"Scooter" :thinking:
mod.jpg

Are you a Mod perchance? :)

I see many people riding electric scooters doing food deliveries, and they usually just put their phones in ziploc freezer bags during inclement weather, to keep them dry.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Yes is that bad? Sound that much for me for a device who just run 2, 3 different Software at the same Time.
The problem is that you have to run the operating system and all of its services in that RAM as well as the 2 or 3 user apps you mention. 1GB is very small just for running Android itself with no apps. That's probably why they haven't tried to run a full version of Android, or even the stripped-down Android Go (though in principle that can run in 1GB).

But the problem here is almost certainly that even if there are Android underpinnings to this phone's operating system it's not a standard Android OS - the manufacturer doesn't even advertise it as a smartphone. So the chances are that the changes they have made simply aren't compatible with a lot of apps, while others will have some hardware or software requirement (e.g. a lower limit on the screen, an API that's been removed, etc) that stops them working.

It also had, by modern standards, a very lightweight operating system and very lightweight apps.

My current computers have thousands of times the computing power of the first I owned, and 40 times more RAM than the older ones had disk space. But they use much of that capability to run apps that are too big and complex to even fit in the old computer but which fundamentally do the same things that we used to do with much less. In the last decade we've gone from android apps being typically a couple of MB in size to even the smallest ones occupying 10s of MB, with apps that are hundreds of MB in size being routine - and that's before they start storing any data! Seriously, the Samsung Internet app on my s21 is 460MB in size itself, just for a web browser (while I still have a copy of an old, minimalist browser where the app is only 0.5MB in size, so 1,000 times smaller). It's a problem as old as computing: the apps and OS endlessly bloat to use up all extra capabilities that newer hardware can provide...

(Actually now that I've looked at the size of the Samsung browser it's become a prime candidate for deletion. I'll give it a week or two, and if I don't find myself using it by then it's gone...).

Reactions: mikedt and ocnbrze
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones