• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android 9 (pie) quirks?

You could build such an announcement into the phone app or the OS.

However, Google not knowing the laws outside the US is no surprise. They are surprisingly insular for a global company.

And California, where Google is, is one of those States that requires all parties to be informed and consent to call recording. Otherwise the recording is illegal.
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-632.html

Upvote 0
And California, where Google is, is one of those States that requires all parties to be informed and consent to call recording. Otherwise the recording is illegal.
https://codes.findlaw.com/ca/penal-code/pen-sect-632.html

Also in the UK there's telecoms approval regulations. And one of the rules was that any device that could directly record phone calls, like some answering machines, they had to make an audible indication that the call was been recorded. I remember that one, because I used to work at a telecoms approval lab for a while in Bristol.

Upvote 0
Well, I got the Pie update on T-Mobile Note 8.

So far, not bad, not perfect.
Some very quick observations.

1. Night mode
2. Dolby app baked in
3. Texting w/RCS and chat in stock Samsung app. Waiting for Android messages to be fully compatible.

Stuff that is making people mad:
1. Texting app (Samsung) has no customization (wallpapers). It was removed.
2. The icons
3. The clock got moved to the left side (Can be fixed w/good lock)
4. Recent apps "drawer" was changed (can be fixed w/good lock) to horizontal drawer.
5. Haven't been able to check camera but they seem to have simplified it.

I'll try and post more after work today.

Last edited:
Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
Samsung Calendar changed tasks to "Reminders" in the Samsung Calendar that was upgraded with Android Pie. In previous versions you could see BOTH appointments and tasks on either day, week or month settings.

Now the "Reminders" are in a separate location and there is no option to see them daily with you appointments. Also if you want to edit an existing reminder, you now have to toggle between calendar screen and reminder screen to get different day. In previous version editing the date brought up the calendar screen automatically.

MAJOR flaw in the calendar and severely compromises its utility. Anybody have a workaround to this??

Upvote 0
Yeah, I agree, it's a pain if the manufacturer removes a feature that you found useful, or messes an app up in another way. It's more annoying is they do something like that with something like the in call UI, which you can't just replace, but it's still an annoyance when they do it to their calendar app, messages, email, gallery or whatever. But it happens. And that's why I always take the attitude that the manufacturer's app is just an app, nothing special, and I treat it like any other app: I use it if it suits me, and replace it with something else if it does not.

(For the record I've never found the perfect Calendar app: there are a number I find usable, but all of them have something I want that they don't do, or which some other apps do better. Hence I actually have several calendar apps installed, and still occasionally look to see whether there are any new or improved ones out there).

Upvote 0
One thing I am seriously not liking about A9 is that it ruins the themes that Samsung itself sells in their theme store. I like my phone to be pretty from end to end so I use the themes. And the insistence on wasting half the screen announcing which app I am using or that I am in the settings...duh, totally ruins the theme. And those awful icons! OMG! What were they thinking? Then there is Samsung Pay. Apparently the only way to access it is from the lock screen? AM I missing something here?

Upvote 0
And the insistence on wasting half the screen announcing which app I am using or that I am in the settings...duh, totally ruins the theme.
What is this? I'm running 9, but not on a Samsung, and don't recognise this description. So I think this is probably an issue with the "One UI" rather than Android 9, and it just happens that they came at the same time.

(My daughter's S8 is running 9, so presumably has the same UI, but I've not had a real play with it).

Upvote 0
Hi

I and am sure others have not updated our Note 8s to Pie for fear of issues and missing features. I was wondering what people that have upgraded think of the new UI?

What are the common issues? Missing Features? Is it possible to roll back to an earlier version of Android after the update?

I am on a TMo Note 8 but I'm sure some of the issues are universal

Upvote 0
i have the note 8 on pie and i have no issues with it so far. i really like. it is almost like a new phone. it does take some time getting used. i know that some here hate a few of the things that was changed. my phone seems to be running really smooth.

as fas as going back you might be able to using odin. but i'm not really sure.

Reactions: mikedt
Upvote 0
Anyone else having phantom bluetooth volume changes? Since the Pie update it's been a bit maddening. I typically connect to 1 of 3 different bluetooth devices. It happens on all of them. I normally leave the volume on the phone at the max and just use the device controls. But randomly it drops the phone volume to between 25 and 50%. Sometimes it happens after 5 minutes.. other times it seems like I'm actively fighting with it.
I've tried to go into the bluetooth settings and disable "sync" but it's grayed out no matter what I'm connected to.
I've also disabled absolute volume under developer options.
It doesn't seem to be tied to a notification or something like that.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones