• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android alternative to iPod Touch for $200?

sb56637

Lurker
Dec 14, 2009
Hi there,

I have just recently started looking at small PDAs or whatever they are called these days. I was surprised to find that the iPod Touch is retailing for around $200, which I consider a reasonable price. I was also surprised that most Android devices cost a lot more than $200. The hardware specs on the iPod Touch are exactly what I would want, but I don't like Apple as a company and I don't like the iPod OS.

What would be a good Android equivalent to the iPod Touch? I don't care if it has phone capabilities or not. And I don't care if it's a well known brand or not. The following are my priorities, in order of importance:

1. Around $200 or less (critical)
2. Available in the United States (critical)
3. Android 1.6 or 2.0 compatible (critical)
4. Very long battery life (critical)
5. WiFI (critical)
6. Camera (critical)
7. Some sort of external memory card slot (critical)
8. GPS (nice to have)
9. Bluetooth (nice to have)
10. Accelerometer (nice to have)

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Upvote 0
archos is one of the few alternatives you have. I have a pre-android model and am pretty happy with it. If your looking for just a music player, you don't want an android phone, the media players on these things are one of the few aspects that are less than spectacular. The archos gets around it by dual booting android along with their own OS that handles the media part of the device.

I'm a believer in the archos (but it is not for everybody), you get one or two of the accessories and you have an extremely powerful tool. If you have any questions pm me.

Upvote 0
Android devices are surprisingly expensive. I expected them to be cheaper as they are competing with the critically acclaimed iPod Touch and iPhone. I personally would like to have an OS that lets me run more than 1 app at a time though.

The closest thing I can find to $200 that runs Android are these two Chinese smartphones:
Android powered Sciphone N19 and N21 now are on sale|&nbsp Cloned In China
Android phones are just as expensive as any other smartphone, $200 dollars is a subsidized price that carriers set up so you don't pay an arm and a leg for the phone be greatful for it. the iPhone 3GS (32GB) retails for nearly $700, the nokia N97 is $700, and the blackberry bold is $660 unsubsidized while the motorola droid retails for $569 unsubsidized. No offense and I mean this in all honesty but please do some further research because you really don't want to come on here that uninformed.

Upvote 0
archos is one of the few alternatives you have. I have a pre-android model and am pretty happy with it. If your looking for just a music player, you don't want an android phone, the media players on these things are one of the few aspects that are less than spectacular. The archos gets around it by dual booting android along with their own OS that handles the media part of the device.

I'm a believer in the archos (but it is not for everybody), you get one or two of the accessories and you have an extremely powerful tool. If you have any questions pm me.

There really isn't much for a music player to do, what else does the droid one need?

Upvote 0
I've been looking for the same myself, found

Zii.com

and

http://www.archos.com/ has some android ones IIRC.

They are all a little 4 at the moment, I'm hoping by next Christmas there will be a few more to choose from and the prices will be down.

WOW... that video for the ZII was crazy! Now this thing has some serious possibilities, and android none the less!

Upvote 0
Hi there,

I have just recently started looking at small PDAs or whatever they are called these days. I was surprised to find that the iPod Touch is retailing for around $200, which I consider a reasonable price. I was also surprised that most Android devices cost a lot more than $200. The hardware specs on the iPod Touch are exactly what I would want, but I don't like Apple as a company and I don't like the iPod OS.

What would be a good Android equivalent to the iPod Touch? I don't care if it has phone capabilities or not. And I don't care if it's a well known brand or not. The following are my priorities, in order of importance:

1. Around $200 or less (critical)
2. Available in the United States (critical)
3. Android 1.6 or 2.0 compatible (critical)
4. Very long battery life (critical)
5. WiFI (critical)
6. Camera (critical)
7. Some sort of external memory card slot (critical)
8. GPS (nice to have)
9. Bluetooth (nice to have)
10. Accelerometer (nice to have)

Thanks for your help and suggestions!

Im sorry, but I just have to say it. Some people just make me laugh. Seriously. I want a device that has a 2039489230MP camera and 6TB of memory and expandlable memory with Bluetooth that travels 8 miles and Wifi/WiMax and washes my clothes, does my dishes, cuts my lawn.... etc...

I mean seriously. Why is needing a camera on a MUSIC player critical? If you want a camera, buy a freakin camera with a REAL lense. Until they start sticking Nikon Lenses in camera phones it really doesnt matter how many pixels you have your still limited by the lense. And Very long battery life, and all those features is kind of contradictory. Not unless you really want to carry a 5lb battery pack? They don't need to make an android media device. IPODS and ZUNES and other standalone MP3 players will be obsolete in the next 5 years anyway. The way phones are progressing, you can even use an inactive phone as a mp3 replacement, and with more phones carrying the 3.5 mm Jack, it IS going to happen.

Upvote 0
Im sorry, but I just have to say it. Some people just make me laugh. Seriously. I want a device that has a 2039489230MP camera and 6TB of memory and expandlable memory with Bluetooth that travels 8 miles and Wifi/WiMax and washes my clothes, does my dishes, cuts my lawn.... etc...

I mean seriously. Why is needing a camera on a MUSIC player critical? If you want a camera, buy a freakin camera with a REAL lense. Until they start sticking Nikon Lenses in camera phones it really doesnt matter how many pixels you have your still limited by the lense. And Very long battery life, and all those features is kind of contradictory. Not unless you really want to carry a 5lb battery pack? They don't need to make an android media device. IPODS and ZUNES and other standalone MP3 players will be obsolete in the next 5 years anyway. The way phones are progressing, you can even use an inactive phone as a mp3 replacement, and with more phones carrying the 3.5 mm Jack, it IS going to happen.
Someone has some sense in here!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones