1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android and Chrome?

Discussion in 'Google' started by richmatthews76, Dec 12, 2013.

1. richmatthews76

richmatthews76 Well-Known Member

This will show how much I know. I thought Android and Google where close? So what separates this Chrome you hear about in the media?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. mikedt

mikedt 你好

One is an operating system and one is a web browser. That's how I differentiate the two.

ocnbrze likes this.
  3. ocnbrze

ocnbrze DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!

yep the chrome books are internet based and runs on the chrome os. while android is android designed for tablets and phones.

4. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

It can be a little confusing if you're not sure what context the name "Chrome" is being used in.

Android is an operating system. Period.

Chrome is an operating system, Chrome OS, but there's also a web browser called Chrome, which predates Chrome OS by a few years. Both Chromes are from Google.

Crashdamage, ocnbrze and funkylogik like this.
  5. funkylogik

funkylogik share the love peeps ;)

Theyre both under the google umbrella though :)
    Oops i got badly ninja'd there lol ^^^ :D

6. Digital Controller

Digital Controller The Real Bass Creator

I have moved this thread to the Google forum since this is discussing the differences in two google products.

Hope this helps :)

7. mplevy

mplevy Android Expert

The "Chrome" I've been seeing on TV is actually the ChromeCast. That device allows you to push videos or content over your WiFi network to a TV.

Yes, I've also seen the ChromeBook ads but I think I've seen quite a few more ChromeCast ads.

8. sfbloodbrother

sfbloodbrother Extreme Android User

Very different. In fact I dont think that the two teams even communicate with each other. Google is very divided up when it comes to its services. I really hope Chrome OS and Android will make a merge someday.

mikedt likes this.
  9. codesplice

codesplice Elite Recognized Moderator

Regardless of the context, Chrome is a browser. Chrome OS is essentially a bootable browser (that also performs some minor OS-type functions), and a Chromebook is (essentially) a notebook that boots to the Chrome browser. ChromeCast is a HDMI dongle that essentially functions as a browser extension.

mikedt likes this.