1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android and DVDs

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by nick harvey, Dec 30, 2011.

1. nick harvey

nick harvey Lurker

Hi All,

I have just ordered a Transformer Prime and would like to put my movies on an SD card to watch on it.

I have ripped all my DVDs onto a harddrive but they are still in the DVD format (ie Audio_TS and Video_TS files). Is there a way i can, from this harddrive, convert these to something i can play on the Prime? (hopefully without ripping again, but can if i must)

I am not fussed about shrinking them - I would rather do the job once and keep them at a high quality that can be HDMI'd out to a TV (or whatever I need to do to watch on a big screen). So would rather have fewer films per SD card.

Can anyone point me in the direction of a guide on what to do or a program to do it?

Many thanks,

Nick
    Future Prime Owner

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member

Are you on a pc or a Mac? If it's a Mac then any good editing program like Toast will do this for you. In fact your Mac should come pre-loaded with software to do this. It might not have been installed off the install disc though. Sometimes they don't automatically do this. If you have a pc then search for video converting or video editing software.

3. chanchan05

chanchan05 The Doctor

What program did you use to rip? Most programs have an option to let you set the output path. MediaCoder is a free program for that. Just set the output format as one viewable from your phone (avi or mp4), then click on rip.

4. KyleB

KyleB Well-Known Member

Mine are all in avg or mp4 format and then I use Moboplayer to watch the videos

5. mikedt

mikedt 你好

"Audio_TS and Video_TS files" don't think there's any native Android app that will play those. You can easily convert them into something that will work though using something like Handbrake. HandBrake
    Works very well and is free and open-source.

6. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 Member

I used to use the Red Kawa Video converter since it first came out for the early psp (used to be called pspv9) There used to be both a generic converter and ipod/psp converter but now they do versions optimised for separate devices.

Now I find I just use handbrake.

7. AngelArs

AngelArs Well-Known Member

It's coming ;) I think this is his app...

8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    VIP Member

VLC Direct is the client / server application linked above in the second link. Use or check out if you are familiar with VLC media serving.

VLC is the platform independent media player designed by and for media professionals. It does a lot.

Details on an alpha build are here -

VLC Open-Source Media Player For Android [Download]

Definitely not ready for prime time.

You can follow nightly builds -

VLC Media Player Nightly provides a sneak glimpse at what’s to come - News - PC & Tech Authority Mobile Edition

Check here on the official website to see if that status changes -

VideoLAN - VLC media player for Android

Meanwhile, stick with transcoding via Handbreak or similar.

PS - please don't use cute teaser links without saying what the links are for, as in the previous post. It's bad form, and leads to confusion.

9. nick harvey

nick harvey Lurker

Thanks everyone - thats really helpful. I am getting to grips with handbrake and found another progam called Catalyst which seems to do similar. I queued a load up and left them running and some worked, many didn't. I think i need to do them individually and go into the Video_TS folder and pick the right file (the largest i think as it will be the main movie) - but some DVDs seem to have four or five files that are all large and exactly the same size - which do i pick?!

But sure would be easier if an app just played 'DVDs'!

10. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

I'm a huge fan of AVS4You's media suite of tools for conversion of pretty much anything to anything.

No, it isn't free, but you can have the entire package for like $39 with a coupon. Constant updates, great personal tech support. I love 'em.

If I had to complain about something, it would be the "online activation" system - so you can't cheat and have it on your desktop and laptop. but at that price? I can afford a couple of licenses. :)

11. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast

BTW, I've been through a LOT of players on the Android, and I haven't found anything better than MX Video Player ... Especially HQ MKV files. Never a reconversion for me.

Hmm... I wonder if it would play VOB files ...? It might ..