1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android and mac computers

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by canrunin, Mar 12, 2011.

1. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    Do the android phones work ok with mac computers as far as plugging in to usb to get on and move files and stuff around on phone and sd card? Or anything i need to know before i switch to mac.

Advertisement

2. Frisco

Frisco =Luceat Lux Vestra=
    None

They work fine.

Some Mac users like to add Double Twist to their arsenal of apps, which specializes in Mac/Android playing nice together. There are many such apps in Android Market.

[edit] In my haste to respond to your query, canrunin, I neglected to give you a warm welcome to our forums: Welcome to Android Forums! ;)

canrunin likes this.
  3. fadeout

fadeout Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 16, 2010
    Male
    I get paid, doing what I do
    NYC
    Yes they work really well together actually, esp if you plan on going through your files and adjusting things. And frisco's right about DT it plays nice on my mac, loads quick and moves everything from iTunes without a hiccup.

canrunin likes this.
  4. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Guest
    None
    Yep - N1 & macbook for about a year without issues :D

canrunin likes this.
  5. canrunin

canrunin Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 7, 2009
    so when you plug the phone into the usb it recognizes it like it does on windows. sorry for asking but i know nothing about apple computers and i dont want to get one and have a bunch of problems.

6. CodeMonkey

CodeMonkey Guest
    None
    Yep.
    Default setup on mac means that once you mount the memory card a drive icon pops on the mac desktop to access it.
    When done you eject the drive from the mac and unmount the card on the phone (as with Windows).

canrunin and KENNECTED like this.
  7. KENNECTED

KENNECTED Android Expert
    None

I've had my EVO 4G for a month now. I have a mac and I've had no problems what so ever. My calendar and contacts sync with no problems. That is the one area where things have been better than ever. No hooking up anything to sync.

canrunin likes this.
  8. fangorious

fangorious Guest
    None
    I dislike DoubleTwist in that it is intended to replace iTunes to manage your music library and playlists. If you intend to continue using iTunes to purchase music, rip CDs, and manage playlists then you must periodically re-import from iTunes to DoubleTwist (at last that was how it worked last time I tried it). The iSyncr app, however, simply gives you a list of iTunes playlists that you can select from to sync to your Mac-mounted SD cards. It's intended to work with iTunes rather than replace it. And if you're interested in syncing Address Book, iCal, and Mail have a look here.

canrunin likes this.
  9. Gnomad

Gnomad Well-Known Member
    None

Nov 26, 2010
    Ohio
    Most Android phones work well with a Mac. As of the last update by Verizon, the Samsung Fascinate does not automatically connect to a Mac. There are steps to make it work but it is not automatic anymore. Should be fixed in the future but definitely no guarantees.

canrunin likes this.
  10. Vietnam720

Vietnam720 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 14, 2011
    Blogger
    Vietnam
    Newbie but have Mac and PC at the same time. Works fine on both machine :)

11. kmf

kmf Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 28, 2010
    Male
    Northeast Iowa
    I have a samsung mesmerize (us cellular) and when I connect it to my MacBook Pro (OS 10.6.6) I get a pop-up on the computer: A new network interface has been detected. The "SAMSUNG_Android" network interface has not been set up. To set up this interface, use Network Preferences. And on my phone in the notification bar I get a red triangle warning symbol: USB debugging connected. Select to disable USB debugging. And another message that indicates that the USB is connected. Select to copy files to/from your computer.

I assume that going into network preferences would have to do with using the phone as a modem, but I can do that wirelessly. No idea what USB debugging means.

Had the phone for a couple weeks...first time that I connected it to the computer was this morning after reading this blog.

12. captaincanada84

captaincanada84 Well-Known Member
    None

Feb 28, 2010
    Sales Associate
    Asheville, NC
    Any Android phone will work with both Windows and a Mac. The only time you'll have an issue with having a Mac is if you want to root your phone.