• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android APKs

Hello everybody,

I need some help to understand some points,

1: How do I edit and run an apk file that is developed for and older version of android e.g. 4.xx.

2: Is it possible to make an old android apk file (which is only compatible with 4.xx) compatible with new android version like 8,9 or 10 etc.

Welcome.jpg

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
As I understand it, an .apk file is essentially a zip file with .apk instead of .zip. You should be able to rename it as .zip and unzip it to see the contents, which will be a number of files, including a manifest file, the bytecode (the file(s) which consisute the executable app) and some others which I can't remember just now). There are tools to 'decompile' an .apk file, but unless you're VERY familiar with Java/Android development, and even then, it's by no means a trivial task to understand someone else's code (without comments, or even meaninful datanames). Maybe someone with more Adroid development expertise than me can offer a fuller explanation.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones