1. Check out our companion app, Forums for Android! Download from Google Play

Android app Fingerprint recognition over Wifi or webserver?

Discussion in 'Application Development' started by vnktshsrinivas, Jun 19, 2017 at 9:53 AM.

1. vnktshsrinivas

vnktshsrinivas New Member

Monday
    I want to develop an Android App which should authenticate fingerprints of user, the fingerprint data will be received through wifi.

Actually the fingerprint scanner will be connected to Esp8266 module(IoT) which will act as Access point for Android app and send data to android device through wifi.

My question is can we develop an app that will recognize fingerprints received from IoT scanner and authenticate using Fingerprint recognition Api which google provides in Android marshmallow devices?

Advertisement

2. LV426

LV426 Illegitimi non carborundum

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    UK
    First thoughts on this are that no, you can't use the Fingerprint API in the way you want, because it seems geared towards working with an integrated scanner device, or some externally connected devices.
    After perusing the API docs, I don't think you can simply throw 'fingerprint data' at it.
    Could be wrong though, as I've never used it myself.

vnktshsrinivas likes this.
  3. vnktshsrinivas

vnktshsrinivas New Member

Monday
    ohk thank you please can you confirm it for me?

4. LV426

LV426 Illegitimi non carborundum

Oct 16, 2015
    Male
    Software developer
    UK
    Ok, you can't do it. ;)
    But seriously, I've never used this API so would be in exactly the same position as you ie making a simple app to use the API. I honestly don't know it's full capabilities.

vnktshsrinivas likes this.