• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Apps Android app Fingerprint recognition over Wifi or webserver?

I want to develop an Android App which should authenticate fingerprints of user, the fingerprint data will be received through wifi.

Actually the fingerprint scanner will be connected to Esp8266 module(IoT) which will act as Access point for Android app and send data to android device through wifi.

My question is can we develop an app that will recognize fingerprints received from IoT scanner and authenticate using Fingerprint recognition Api which google provides in Android marshmallow devices?

First thoughts on this are that no, you can't use the Fingerprint API in the way you want, because it seems geared towards working with an integrated scanner device, or some externally connected devices.
After perusing the API docs, I don't think you can simply throw 'fingerprint data' at it.
Could be wrong though, as I've never used it myself.

Reactions: vnktshsrinivas
Upvote 0
First thoughts on this are that no, you can't use the Fingerprint API in the way you want, because it seems geared towards working with an integrated scanner device, or some externally connected devices.

After perusing the API docs, I don't think you can simply throw 'fingerprint data' at it.

Could be wrong though, as I've never used it myself.
ohk thank you please can you confirm it for me?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones