• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android App Idea

XvR3LAPS3vX

Lurker
Mar 4, 2012
NYC
So For a long time now I've had an idea for an android app and its really bothering me to know if it can be a possible development.

-My app would be called Widget SwitchR.
-the app would be a tool that allows somebody to change a widget on their homescreen with the click or hold of the widget they want to switch.

*EXAMPLE- you have a weather widgest and you have a clock widgest that are both the same size. Your home screen is full with apps and you want two Widgets instead of one with keeping all of your apps.

So now you have a weather widget on and you want the clock widget. Just hold down the widget and click "CHANGE". The widget will automatically switch after you click the switch button*

-There will also be an app that installs to your phone (obviously) and it allows you to set defaults for certain Widgets.

*EXAMPLE- you go into the app and choose a widget that you have. After you click it it would say what you would like to change the widget to and it's changed!
Please tell me if this idea would be possible on an Android phone rooted or not rooted. Also of that is a possible app to create, what can I use to create it because I'm not really a coder.

Reactions: firewaterx
If all of the widgets were developed by the same person and packaged together into one app, then yes. However, I don't believe that applications have the ability to start other applications.

I think they have. You can start a whole application or a part of it from any of your applications.
I'm sure you can do thaat with sl4a python script so i think its a pretty good bet that you can do that in java or anything.
You can have a list of launchable activities installed on your phone using this (python)

import android
droid = android.Android()
a = droid.getLaunchableApplications()
print a

And i gues this is how you do that in java
Intents and Intent Filters | Android Developers
But correct me if i'm wrong.

Upvote 0
Assume you are using the Android default launcher, the widget placement are outside of developer control. The launcher will try it's best to place the widget on the screen. Our app just inform the launcher our expected 2x2,3x3 etc dimension.

For OP to switch widget requirement will depend if the launcher provide some API for us developer app to interact with it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones