1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android App that saves EXIF Data to Screenshots with Camera?

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by Rob, Feb 5, 2020.

1. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra
    Administrator Thread Starter

As you likely know, every time you take a photo the resulting file stores more information than just the photo you see. Along with the file name and file extension there is a TON of data stored including the GPS coordinates, the device type, whether flash was used, lens, etc... this extra data is called EXIF Data (Exchangeable image file format).

Unfortunately, Android screenshots don't seem to save EXIF data. Some basic research has shown that the iPhone stores SOME data to screenshots and a limited number of Android Devices have modified the software to store things like package name in the file name.

Are there any apps that can be downloaded from the Play Store that will force EXIF data to be saved into the screenshot files? Hopefully by using this 3rd party app to execute the screenshot? If not, is this something that could be developed or do developers not have access to those permissions?

Advertisement

2. RunrunHibi

RunrunHibi Newbie

What specific data are you looking for in a Screenshot? Exif data for camera photos are necessary because it shows settings like Exposure, aperture, ISO, focal length, time taken, gps location. For a screenshot it does not need these data as its not using the camera it's just a photo of the screen.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  3. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra

The ultimate goal is for the screenshot to detect and embed:
    • Device Make & Model
    • Package Name of App/Game on Screen
    Hoping we can use this information to funnel into the Devices and Apps/Games sections here on Android Forums to make them more interactive, interesting, and helpful!

Any ideas (on this and/or similar ideas of interest)?

4. RunrunHibi

RunrunHibi Newbie

Device make and model can be easily acquired. But getting the name of what app is in the foreground should never be accessible for privacy and security reasons. Personally I don't find this information useful for the purpose of screenshot.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  5. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra

I've got a Samsung Galaxy S9+ and when I take a screenshot the Make and Model are not stored in the EXIF data.

You may not PERSONALLY find the information helpful, but if someone takes a screenshot of:
    It would be great if they could upload the image here on AndroidForums and have it automatically categorized by package name so people can find the information in that section. Same would go for devices.... doesn't make sense to you?

Unforgiven likes this.
  6. mikedt

mikedt 你好

I presume such an app doesn't exist, and one would have to be specially developed?

FWIW my Huawei does store the model number "ALP-AL00" as EXIF in screen-shot images.

7. RunrunHibi

RunrunHibi Newbie

I understand, but its not possible to get the name of app in the foreground, Google will not allow it. Why not just add tags upon upload? Some people may find a way to get this data but security comes first.

MoodyBlues likes this.
  8. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra

There are Xiaomi MIUI devices that save the "package name" as part of the FILE NAME when you take a screenshot- so I know it's possible. Might need to be OS level or have Root though I guess?Now I'm wondering if there are screenrecording apps that do the same, too. Hmm.

9. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

I definitely would not want any screenshot app to be able to determine what programs I'm running. Privacy-wise, it would open a huge can of worms! :eek:

Instead, when taking a screenshot you can name its resulting image in a way that identifies the foreground app, e.g., this could be called AndroidForums_on_Chrome.png:

Screenshot_20200225-111517.png

or BankOfAmerica_app_BillPayPage.png, and so on.

Or include something identifying in the screenshot itself:

Screenshot_20200225-111837.png

But let a screenshot app know everything I'm running....uh-uh....

10. Rob

Rob Galaxy S20 Ultra

That's what I'm suggesting... an option in settings that would automatically save screenshots with the name of the foreground app in the file name. Rather than manually having to name it.

11. MoodyBlues

MoodyBlues Compassion is cool!
    VIP Member

Right--but to do that, it has to snoop around your device to see everything you're running, then determine which one is in the foreground.

And how would that work on a split screen, with different apps in each part?

Or just a screenshot of one of your desktops, like:

JoyNoelle_desktop_normal_090419.png

:thinking: