1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android Apps Permissions !!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by ChTidio, Feb 16, 2011.

1. ChTidio

ChTidio Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
    So, I got my first Android phone (EVO Shift) and have downloaded a few apps, assuming that downloading from the "marketandroid.com" site, it was safe. Well, I *just* took a look at the "permissions tab" on that site, for an app I downloaded and what I saw, concerned me. Is this just the "market" site covering their behinds, or should one be concerned about downloading apps from the "market"? BTW, these permissions are not unique ti this app, there many on the site with a lot *more* permissions. Or, am I just being paranoid? :)

PERMISSIONS
    This application has access to the following:

Network communication
    Full Internet Access
    Allows an application to create network sockets.
    Phone calls

Read Phone State And Identity
    Allows the application to access the phone features of the device. An application with this permission can determine the phone number and serial number of this phone, whether a call is active, the number that call is connected to and the like.

Storage
    Modify/Delete USB Storage Contents Modify/Delete SD Card Contents
    Allows an application to write to the USB storage. Allows an application to write to the SD card.

System tools
    Prevent Device From Sleeping

Allows an application to prevent the device from going to sleep.

Change Wi-Fi State
    Allows an application to connect to and disconnect from Wi-Fi access points, and to make changes to configured Wi-Fi networks.

Hardware controls
    Control Vibrator
    Allows the application to control the vibrator.

Network communication
    View Network State
    Allows an application to view the state of all networks.

View Wi-Fi State
    Allows an application to view the information about the state of Wi-Fi.

System tools
    Send Sticky Broadcast
    Allows an application to send sticky broadcasts, which remain after the broadcast ends. Malicious applications can make the device slow or unstable by causing it to use too much memory.

Advertisement

2. sajmonides

sajmonides Member
    None

Apr 14, 2010
    First of all, marketandroid.com is not a legit website for the android market. The official one is https://market.android.com/
    Second, different apps will use different permissions. I have yet to find a malicious application on the market so I'm never worried about downloading anything. Some applications will require more permissions than the others. For example if you download a ringtone application, it has to be able to access your phone settings because it can change your ringtone from the phone settings. Also it might be able to change the volume of the ringtone, hence it would require more permissions. I'm not really sure what you're concerned with. The only thing you should be concerned with is that some apps can drain A LOT of your battery, but to find out whether an app does drain a lot of your battery or not, simply read the reviews. If you're concerned about some app taking control over your phone - I wouldn't really worry about that as long as you're downloading from the market.

ChTidio likes this.
  3. ChTidio

ChTidio Newbie
    None

Feb 11, 2011
  4. 9to5cynic

9to5cynic Android Expert
    None

Feb 20, 2011
    /home/
    That being said, it is a good idea to read this...

I think it's pretty simple, basically, just think about what permissions an app should need. For example, an app that sets ringtones would likely need access to the SD card, and hardware audio. Probably would need internet access (for ads). But would it _really_ need to be able to use services that cost money? I'd think not.