1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

android as a VoIP server (NOT client)

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by feystorm, Feb 10, 2011.

1. feystorm

feystorm Lurker

So after googling around a lot I have found nothing. I found lots and lots and lots of people wanting to make VoIP calls from the droid, but I want to do the opposite.

What I'm looking to do is have the droid run as a VoIP server, so that when my phone is at home, it can connect to my wireless, and my VoIP devices will connect to it and use the droid to make/receive calls.

Does such a thing exist?
    If not, can it be developed? I can code, just havent done anything for the droid platform so I dont know what is and isnt possible.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. gps-au

gps-au Lurker

I was thinking something similar..

A voip "trunk" client, so the local server can use the phone (3g) voice network for calls.

Though a limited server would be nice (but not what I want)

3. indirace007

indirace007 Lurker

hey did you guys find a way to do this? I am looking to do the same thing. please let me know. thank you very much

4. mito

mito Lurker

I am looking for the same, to be able to pick up a call on my home desktop phone when it comes in through the smartphone.
    Did you find anything?

5. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

A trunk client? 3G can only handle 1 line at a time. Maybe as a 3G or 4G VoIP trunk client. But isn't that like using the end of an elephant's trunk as a feather duster? A dedicated Android (or Linux) device would be simpler, less restricted and a lot more powerful. (A single P7 can run a pretty large PBx all by itself [with a few hardware peripherals].)

6. mito

mito Lurker

Not a trunk. When I am home I want my incoming calls on the android to ring on my home phone system (which is VoIP). So I can pick up the more comfortable home phone when receiving a call on the smartphone.

7. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

I think GE or AT&T has a cordless system like that. Plug ther phone into the cradle and the cordless phones use the cellphone as their POTS connection.