• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android as a VoIP server (NOT client)

So after googling around a lot I have found nothing. I found lots and lots and lots of people wanting to make VoIP calls from the droid, but I want to do the opposite.

What I'm looking to do is have the droid run as a VoIP server, so that when my phone is at home, it can connect to my wireless, and my VoIP devices will connect to it and use the droid to make/receive calls.

Does such a thing exist?
If not, can it be developed? I can code, just havent done anything for the droid platform so I dont know what is and isnt possible.

A trunk client? 3G can only handle 1 line at a time. Maybe as a 3G or 4G VoIP trunk client. But isn't that like using the end of an elephant's trunk as a feather duster? A dedicated Android (or Linux) device would be simpler, less restricted and a lot more powerful. (A single P7 can run a pretty large PBx all by itself [with a few hardware peripherals].)

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones