1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android as Media Streamer - Which App

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by crux, May 7, 2012.

1. crux

crux Lurker
    None

Oct 10, 2010
    Hello,
    I have a HTC One on the way today to replace my original HTC Incredible. I was thinking I might be able to use my Incredible as a media streamer on the guest room TV.

Right now the guest room TV is not networked. Instead of connecting a Popcorn Hour or similar to play movies from my HTPC (running Windows Media Center), I thought I might be able to hook up my Incredible via HDMI to my TV. From there, I need to find the best way to access my video content on my HTPC in the next room. I would, of course, access it over WiFi but not sure which Android application would be the best (most efficient, user friendly) to pull that content and then push it to my guest TV.

Just looking for something simple that will let me browse my network or pull in an index of what I have on my HTPC and allow me to scroll through so I can play movies.

Thanks for any insight.

Advertisement

2. Harry2

Harry2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 3, 2010
    Black Forest
    I use a file manager like EStrongs File Explorer for to connect to my home network via WiFi.
    With the ES I choose there a video file and ES let me choose a video player.
    For streaming the video I use MX Player.
    With a HDMI cable the phone can show the video on TV.

There may be solutions to do this with a single app. But I think I have for each of this two jobs the best app of its kind :)

Harry