• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android car stereos?

Tangent

Android Enthusiast
Jun 20, 2010
Has anybody heard anything about somebody making an Android-based car stereo? I'm not talking about a carputer, but an actual typical single or double-din head unit. It seems to me that it would be a perfect platform for modern media:

- It's already capable of playing MP3s and other formats.
- You could easily build-in cellular capabilities to allow Pandora or other streaming sources.
- You aren't stuck with an interface you don't really like to get the hardware you do, it could be easily customized.
- Automatic syncing of your Android phone and car stereo media libraries.
- Pairing to Android phones to stream media through Bluetooth or by plugging it in to let it charge as well would be super easy.
- Navigation that doesn't rely on DVDs or uploaded firmware, but uses constantly updated Google maps.
- Being able to send maps and/or points of interest from your PC or phone straight to the car.
- Dyno apps would be a natural fit
- Android car stereo + Bluetooth OBD II transceiver = reading / resetting codes, reading car sensor data without separate tool.
- Voice controls.

It seems to me that this would be a natural fit, yet I haven't heard anything about it... If Microsoft can have Sync in Fords, surely somebody must be thinking about Android for ICE right?

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones