• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help Android Chrome Redirection Virus/Malware/Adware

I have a SGS5 and get a "virus alert your phone is heavily infected" message when I goto some sites through the phone's browser. What's the deal on that? I thought android phones were tougher to mess with than an average PC.

Something like these?
These only show up when I'm on chrome and viewing android forums.

Screenshot_2018-01-03-13-22-35.png
Screenshot_2018-01-03-13-22-43.png

Upvote 0
Trouble is, I don't have any Cheetah Mobile apps installed.
What was problematic was that these popups only happened when browsing Android Forums. I had tried everything that I knew; clearing cache, deleting history, etc...

I can say that after making the changes I'm no longer plagued by these.

You don't have to. It's ads for a Cheetah Mobile app, Clean Master or Battery Doctor most likely. If you clicked it, it would take you to a Cheetah Mobile app in the Play Store. This has been reported before from time to time on AF. Myself, I usually block website ads on both phone and laptop.

Whoever wrote the Cheetah Mobile ads doesn't seem to know if "virus" is a countable noun or not, and writing app as "APP" is typical China. Even in spoken Mandarin they often say "A. P. P.".:thumbsupdroid:

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones