1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android compared to Windows?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by karabearblu, Feb 4, 2011.

1. karabearblu

karabearblu Lurker

My husband just got a windows phone and I was wondering if Anyone has messed around with one. The two biggest things I have noticed so.far are the inability to download custom ringtones on the windows phone and the ability to link contacts to Facebook which I'd like to see on android.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Medion

Medion Android Expert

You can link contacts with FB on Android. If you're using an HTC phone, this is done via friendstream. If you're not on an HTC phone, or using a custom ROM, the FB app offers this option.

3. A.Nonymous

A.Nonymous Extreme Android User

WinMo 6.5 or Windows Phone 7? The two are different animals.

4. karabearblu

karabearblu Lurker

Windows 7

5. karabearblu

karabearblu Lurker

I have a captivate. Haven't done anything to amp it up. I like how his windows phone can link directly from the contacts page and you have all the fun things on hand right there...like their profile, write on wall option and their profile pic as your contact picture.

6. karabearblu

karabearblu Lurker

Also how do I link contacts using the Facebook app? Sorry..
    newbie here. I've had my phone since October but haven't had the chance to study the range of what I can do with my phone.

7. Medion

Medion Android Expert

I'm using Cyanogen(mod), and I've found that this option I'm about to describe won't show up if using HTC Sense. So, it could be disabled by Samsung if TouchWiz offers similar functionality.

With that said;

1. Open your FB app.
    2. If it opens to your news feed, hit the back button to go to the main screen.
    3. Hit the menu button and click settings. Scroll to the bottom and select sync contacts.

Alternatively, you can do it by going to your home screen, hitting menu, settings, accounts and sync, and selecting add account. FB should be an option.

8. karabearblu

karabearblu Lurker

Thanks!

9. Guamguy

Guamguy Android Expert

HTC, Samsung and Motorola all do this.

You got a Samsung right?

There is something called Friends or Feeds and Updates or something like that in your application directory. Its one of Samsung's loadware and it has a pink icon. You open it up, activate the Facebook part (it will also do Twitter) and enter your Facebook login.

You can also do the same on the Feeds and Updates widget, which is the same thing. Press on the empty screen to activate the Shortcuts, Widgets and Wallpapers menu, and choose widgets. Look for Feeds and Updates which is the pink one. Enter your Facebook login as you install the widget into the homescreen. This widget gives you the equivalent of HTC Friend Stream on your Samsung, which is a streaming scrolling feed of your friends. As it does Twitter and MySpace too, the streams can be combined into a single display by selecting their options and typing in your login.

I am not sure if your particular Samsung has this, but international phones have the Samsung Apps store. It comes with Samsung's own Facebook app for Android. Back before the official Facebook app for Android got updated, the Samsung Facebook app had its own advantages like replying to notifications directly without sending you to the browser. It also enables you to upload videos to Facebook.

The Facebook integration from Samsung's own social hub and Facebook app are deeper than the official Facebook app itself.

Note the hub can also sync Twitter and MySpace contacts to your contact book and find existing ones and associate them.

If you install Yahoo Mail! or Yahoo Messenger, they will also sync Yahoo contacts into your contacts book.

My contacts book is quite complicated because my contacts have Facebook, Google, Yahoo, and Twiiter links on their contact pages.

If you put a Contact as a shortcut into the homescreen, if you press long on the contact icon, a dialog bubble menu pops up with icons for Call, Text, Facebook, Twitter, GMail, Yahoo and so on.

If you use the Official apps and sync and got the Samsung syncs going at the same time, you can end up with redundant syncs and eat up your battery. I would choose to only do the Samsung feed syncs for Facebook and Twitter as opposed to using the official Facebook or Twitter app for syncs, due to the better integration to the phone.