1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Android desktop path

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by acb13adm, Apr 8, 2016.

1. acb13adm

acb13adm Lurker
    None

Apr 8, 2016
    Male
    What is the path to Android desktop folder? I've been using UC browser to store shortcuts to a folder on my device desktop, and I want to copy this folder to my pc so I don't lose my bookmarked pages (which currently happens) every time UC updates

Advertisement

2. Hadron

Hadron  
    VIP Member

Aug 9, 2010
    Spacecorp Test Pilot
    Dimension Jumping
    The Android desktop is not like a PC desktop, where you have a desktop folder and the OS puts things from that folder on the desktop. The Android desktop is not produced by the OS but by an app called a launcher. All phones come with one, and you can install alternative launchers from the Play Store. So what appears on the desktop is stored by the internal data of your launcher app, and usually app's internal data are not visible to the user unless rooted. If your launcher does store stuff somewhere that's accessible to the user then we'd need to know which launcher you are using (or which phone if you are using the stock launcher) to know what to look for.

But if the contents of this bookmark folder are wiped when UC browser updates that suggests a couple of things: (1) that it's UC browser that controls it rather than the launcher (relevant because it may mean that backing up the desktop through the launcher, which some 3rd party launchers offer, wouldn't be enough), and (2) that is a very shoddy app if it wipes these data every time it updates (sorry, but I'm afraid that I do think that's poor coding). So, questions: is the folder itself lost, or just its contents? Does the browser loose the bookmarks as well, or do they just disappear from the folder? And does UC browser have an option to back up its bookmarks?