• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Device Manager : How-to

So ADM is officially "out" but reading on another site, there were a lot of people having issues. I thought I'd be proactive and post something about how to get it to even show up.

There are two things that you need to check -

(1) In "Settings", "Security", "Device Administrators" - be sure to allow "Android Device Manager".

(2) Go to "Apps" and find "Google Settings". In there click on "Android Device Manager" and make sure that at least "Remotely locate this device" is checked. Check "Allow remote factory reset" if you want to be able to wipe the device remotely if you lose it.

Here's the issue I had : Android Device Manager didn't show in Google Settings. So I opened Settings and scrolled down to Google Play Services. I cleared the cache and rebooted. Once my Thunderbolt got back up, ADM showed in Google Settings (both options were already checked btw).

My next issue was that the website still isn't showing my phone. According to this page, you:

(1) Go into Google Settings, Android Device Manager and un-check the option for remote reset.
(2) Then you go to Settings, Google Play Services and Clear Data.
(3) Then you re-enable remote wipe, reboot the phone and wait 5 minutes.

(4) If the above steps do not work for you, go back to ADM and uncheck both options (locate and remote wipe), then repeat steps 2 and 3. On step (3), locate may already be checked after clearing data.

Go to https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager and your device should be displayed

Note: Google Play Services has to be v3.2.25 or higher

Hmmm .. bit pants: went through all the steps you described (thanks - very useful!) and android/devicemanager still can't find my phone :(

Coincidentally (I guess), I just got an update for Maps, installed that and it finds my location no problem .. :thinking: I am seeing the icon for my GPS searching - surely ADM doesn't require a GPS location? That would mean it wouldn't work if the phone was indoors!

Upvote 0
ADM uses GPS for one of it's functions - locate device.

I've been having performance issues with my phone, so I'm planning on doing a master reset this weekend and we'll see if that fixes it.

In the meantime, I posted on their G+ page that it wasn't working for me. If I get any response and get it working before I do a reset I'll update this thread. If I get it working after the reset, I'll post back here and let everyone know.

Reactions: SiempreTuna
Upvote 0
I just reported is as an Android bug. Which I'm sure will be completely ignored. If you do get a response from your query, I'd be very grateful to hear it :D

If the service needs GPS to locate the phone, then it is officially worse than useless: thieves have to ensure they're holding the phone outside, with a clear view of half a dozen satellites, before the phone can be wiped? Purrlease!

Upvote 0
My next issue was that the website still isn't showing my phone. According to this page, you:

(1) Go into Google Settings, Android Device Manager and un-check the option for remote reset.

Thanks, that worked. :)

Upvote 0
So ADM is officially "out" but reading on another site, there were a lot of people having issues. I thought I'd be proactive and post something about how to get it to even show up.

There are two things that you need to check -

(1) In "Settings", "Security", "Device Administrators" - be sure to allow "Android Device Manager".

(2) Go to "Apps" and find "Google Settings". In there click on "Android Device Manager" and make sure that at least "Remotely locate this device" is checked. Check "Allow remote factory reset" if you want to be able to wipe the device remotely if you lose it.

Here's the issue I had : Android Device Manager didn't show in Google Settings. So I opened Settings and scrolled down to Google Play Services. I cleared the cache and rebooted. Once my Thunderbolt got back up, ADM showed in Google Settings (both options were already checked btw).

I've done that but my TBolt still isn't showing. :( YMMV. I'm going to keep trying..

Note: Google Play Services has to be v3.2.25 or higher

I'm having the same issue you describe but i also can't ring the device. Android device manager also tells me the device was "last used 8/5/2013". It

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones