• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Device Manager

So how do I use the erase feature?

I have not tested it.

You have to enable it on your phone first. After that you can sent a request from the service and it will do a Factory Data Reset.

I believe it is at Settings | Security & Screen Lock | Device administrators and there you add the check mark for Android Device Manager.

You also need to go into the Google Settings app, choose Android Device Manager, and make sure that "Allow remote factory data reset" is checked.

Frim there, go into https://www.google.com/android/devicemanager on a browser and make sure that you are logged in, choose the device "XT1080" and you can remotely erase the device. (If you select the pencil icon you can edit the name of the device to something else, like, say, Droid Maxx.)

Upvote 0
So how do I use the erase feature?

Well, I was going thru it and noticed on my desktop that it listed my Xoom, Maxx and Bionic. It was late and I was tired :( and thought I would remove my Bionic from the list. :(:(:( So, selected it and hit erase. :eek: I can attest to the fact that it works. I am sure happy it wasn't my Maxx. As soon as I did it I realized that erase wasn't delete. However the locate and ring features work well.
Anyone interested in a factory fresh Bionic?

Upvote 0
There are flavors of Factory Data Reset. Did the remotely requested Factory Data Reset delete everything on the SD-Ext card or did it leave the SD-Ext card untouched?

... Thom

Very interesting. When I booted the Bionic, WiFi only, because it is deactivated on the network, it locked onto my wifi network and good old Google backup started reloading and updating :Deverything. External SD card is all there. I am thinking that it wipes over the VZ network and since it was deactivated it did not do it completely or at all. What is amazing is how slow slow slow the Bionic is after just a week on the Maxx.:D

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones