1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android devices marking email read on pc with POP account

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by telykv, Jul 23, 2013.

1. telykv

telykv Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2013
    I have 2 different Android devices (1 Samsung Galaxy S3 and 1 Sony Experia).
    I set up Outlook email (from Microsoft Exchange server 2003) for POP3 as the user wants all emails to be left as unread on PC. IMAP is NOT an option nor is Active Sync. When emails were received on PC they did not get marked as read until someone actually marked them as read. This was fine for approx. 6 months. We recently changed the setting in the Reading Pane so that the emails weren't opened when viewed in reading pane. About 2 weeks after doing this, all the emails are now marked read when the email app on the phone is opened. The emails haven't been opened, but all emails on the PC are now marked opened. When you get 25 to 50 a day, that can be a real problem!!!!!
    I tried to set up email on the Experia and when I did, the same thing happened.I tried to set up a different email address, same problem.

NOTE: My iPhone works properly. Not marked read until actually read.

Can anyone help???? :thinking: So frustrating!!!

Advertisement

2. biker57

biker57 Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 24, 2012
    Male
    Spend others money all day long
    Covington, Ga
    Welcome to the Forum....Glad you found us!!!

The Touchdown mail app I use for work will do what you want. I use it with the exchange server at my job and leaving the mail unopened on the server is a option. I went through several apps until I setteled on this one. It does come as a trail version that you should use to make sure it suites you before you buy the pro key, but it was a keeper for me.

3. telykv

telykv Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2013
    Do you know if it works with Pop3?
    I thought it only worked with Exchange Active Sync. Please correct if I'm wrong.

4. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    Has the app been updated? Try reverting to an older version. A new version may have a bug that breaks the setting that doesn't mark all messages read when downloading via POP3. Could also be a broken Exchange update.

For what it's worth, my workflow is good with my phone accessing Exchange through EWS/MAPI and me manually marking as unread those that I read on the phone but want to look at again on the desktop.

5. telykv

telykv Lurker
    None

Jul 23, 2013
    Not sure what you mean when you ask if the app has been updated? Do you mean the "Stock App" on the device.
    We haven't tried Touchdown yet as I want to find out if it works the way I want it to with Pop3.

6. divinebovine

divinebovine Android Expert
    None

Aug 30, 2012
    If the stock app is the one you're using, then yes, that one. Stock apps receive updates too.