1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android Dialing option for ET and Parkinson users

Discussion in 'Android Help' started by Steve Smith, Dec 8, 2013.

1. Steve Smith

Steve Smith Guest

I have Essential Tremors. Like 10 million Americans I have inherited ET which means I have had trouble with tremors in my hands. Similar to uncontrollable chattering teeth in the cold, except it affects hands and arms at all times and worse with self frustration.

What this means is that when trying to use touch screens, especially when scrolling across touch sensitive displays as on a Contact list of an Android phone that it is extremely highly likely I(we) will dial a numbers accidentally. It seems to get worse with each faster new version of Android. In fact I had dreaded buying an Android for several years because of my fear of this issue. My new Nexus 5 with Kit Kat is frighteningly sensitive and fast.

Now I basically understand that having a sensitivity setting similar to mouse sensitivity on a PC or laptop is a difficult problem to remedy on a touchscreen. But this issue affects people with any neurological/muscle issue including people with Parkinson's Cerebral Palsy, etc. Over 1 billion world wide can't get a phone to NOT dial accidentally.

However I would like to suggest a very simple remedy that could help with this type of issue with Android phone software and if similar to PC BIOS software it is something that could be added to all; Android versions through simple BIOS updates. A "Personalization" or Ease of Access" option added on the Dialer settings screen that lets the user pick between "Immediate dial" as it does now, or a "Confirm before Dial" option. That way users don't accidentally call numbers. It would also help people who complain about butt dialing too!

Either a yes or no, or a 1 or 2 digit password option, or even a hot key to press before the number actually starts to auto-dial.

Of course trembling hands affect us when using other aspects of these screens but the dialer is the most frustrating for us and the person being accidentally dialed and hung up on. Like most people with ET - frustration leads to even more trouble dialing, entering passwords, typing on touch keyboards, etc. But the "PHONE" we really need. Especially in emergencies and emergencies increase frustration trembling more and make dialing even harder for us.

Searching Essential Tremor will help you understand just how big the trembling factor is in America and the world. Help!!!

PS Thank you so much for this forum. Hopefully you can help!!! Oh and an onscreen quick hangup option would be nice.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Extreme Android User

I can understand the problems (as well as someone who doesn't have them can) but wouldn't voice dialing be better for someone with shaky hands but a steady voice? "Call Sam" doesn't seem particularly difficult if you have no speech impediment, and a huge (say 1/4 the size of the screen) button to activate voice dialing (and verification buttons "should I call Stan?" [Yes] [No]) would probably be better than current voice dialing apps.

I'm not offering to develop one, I'm not an Android developer, just offering an idea.

scary alien likes this.
  3. scary alien

scary alien not really so scary
    VIP Member

I think what you might be looking for is a "call confirm" app, of which there are several in the Google Play Store:

https://play.google.com/store/search?q=call%20confirm

Check out the various ones that the above search will show you and I hope you'll find something that will fit the bill for you.

Best of luck!