1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android drivers (any) will not install on Vista 32 machine

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by kaworu88, Jan 8, 2012.

1. kaworu88

kaworu88 Lurker
    None

Jan 8, 2012
    Hey all,
    I'm a long-time techie, experienced with Linux, etc. I haven't worked under the Android hood much, but I'm going insane here. I've Googled for hours and no one seems to know anything. I have two Android devices -- an LG Ally and a Velocity Micro Cruz Reader that I'd like to connect to my laptop (Vista x86 C2D ULV 2 GB etc etc) one to use with PDAnet, and the other to root and attempt to build the google-docs-fs on (it's a cheap tablet and I want to use it to access a spreadsheet on Docs for real-time access to a very simple database).

However, no matter how many files I unzip, run, install, etc, Windows doesn't find any compatible drivers for anything -- the ADB bridge, the USB modem, ANYTHING. The only thing that works in either device is the native mass storage device driver for file transfer. I've downloaded 3 different versions of the LG driver, including the illusive 1.0 set that magically fixes most issues, and nothing. The Cruz drivers I pulled down right from their site. No go.

What on Earth am I doing wrong? Is this a known issue?

Advertisement

2. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    Being a techie I would assume so, but I have to ask - have you installed any/all updates and service pack(s)?

My wife is running Vista x86 and has an Ally. When she gets home tonight I'll see what happens when her phone is plugged in. I don't know if she's done that yet.

3. darkuni

darkuni Android Enthusiast
    None

Vista was a real pain as I recall. I had so many issues that I ended up running a virtual XP machine under it -just to do things like ADB and connect hardware with older drivers.

Good luck in your quest.

4. Mayhem

Mayhem Android Expert
    None

Sep 23, 2010
    Male
    Senior Engineer - Software Quality Assurance
    Austin, Texas area
    Well, when I plugged her phone in it didn't need anything special. It automatically installed the drivers.