1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Apps android emulator

Discussion in 'Android Development' started by aaydee, Jan 5, 2014.

1. aaydee

aaydee Lurker
    None

Jan 5, 2014
    hello friends! I've just started android dev and I'm new on this forum....I am facing a problem. I have set my android sdk, and reached the main activity page. But when i run the first app of hello world, nothing happens. I have also set the android virtual device manager. so in short, i've a problem that emulator is not running.

plz help asap...thanks

Advertisement

2. Thom

Thom  
    VIP Member

Feb 16, 2011
    Male
    Software Developer
    Keene, NH USA
    Welcome to Android Forums.

This thread was moved from Android Lounge to the forum dedicated to discussing application development.

... Thom

aaydee likes this.
  3. JVene

JVene Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    I'll assume you're using Windows, but it would be useful to know if you're using another OS for development. In my own work I use Linux in a VM, in part because there are fewer issues with USB connections to devices, and until recently compilation was faster because Windows required Cygwin - plus I know Linux fairly well.

The one step I don't see you stating is that you started an AVD. Did you?

Eclipse (and Visual Studio if you managed to get it configured - I couldn't, at least to my satisfaction) will not start an AVD for you. Your narrative suggests you expected that simply commanding the IDE to initiate a debug session would started an emulator, but it won't. The SDK expects either a device or an emulator is running before you initiate execution of a debug (or release) product.

4. houserjr

houserjr Lurker
    None

Jan 14, 2014
    First off the AVD is memory hog and takes forever to launch so you may want to start the AVD first Android virtual device manager icon or go into window/preference/DDMS/ABD timeout and increase the wait time before the timeout error. You can hook up a real device via usb just make sure on the device enable usb debugging in the settings

5. zonk

zonk Newbie
    None

Jan 10, 2014
    Male
    Be sure to set up your AVD emulators to the same as your sdk build target otherwise it'll say that it can't find an appropriate device. If in doubt set up a few so can test on various OS's.

6. JVene

JVene Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 2, 2014
    I've also had good results with genymotion (Free download) - it's x86, but you can manage to do a lot with it, especially if you're sticking to Java, and it's much faster than AVDs.

That said, I couldn't run something like Angry Birds on Genymotion, but I did run it in an ARM AVD (4.1 with hardware OpenGL ES 2).