• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android equivalent of iPhone "app tray" at bottom of home screen?

blackdog709

Dec 19, 2011
I've had my Samsung Galaxy Player for a few weeks now. {Gingerbread} It's my first Android device. On an iPhone, there's a "tray" at the bottom which keeps all apps that are currently open. Pretty much the equivalent of having a program minimized in Windows on your PC. Click an icon there and it opens the app exactly where you left off. I don't get this in Android. If I want to change apps, I go back to the Home screen, and get the next app I want to use. In the meantime, the old app is still running; I can see it in Task Manager. But I cannot get right back to it without finding the icon again and re-opening it. Even within the Task Manager, you can only Exit or Uninstall an app; you can't reopen it.

Any thoughts about this?
Thanks.

Reactions: coled91
I've had my Samsung Galaxy Player for a few weeks now. {Gingerbread} It's my first Android device. On an iPhone, there's a "tray" at the bottom which keeps all apps that are currently open. Pretty much the equivalent of having a program minimized in Windows on your PC. Click an icon there and it opens the app exactly where you left off. I don't get this in Android. If I want to change apps, I go back to the Home screen, and get the next app I want to use. In the meantime, the old app is still running; I can see it in Task Manager. But I cannot get right back to it without finding the icon again and re-opening it. Even within the Task Manager, you can only Exit or Uninstall an app; you can't reopen it.

Any thoughts about this?
Thanks.

Didnt mean to hit thanks button lol but hold yoir home button for a couple seconds and it will bring up your recent apps

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones