1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Filesystem

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by commandlinekid, Jun 6, 2011.

1. commandlinekid

None

Jun 6, 2011
    Does anyone know if Gingerbread has/will have improvements to the filesystem whereby I could easily share, see shares, pull files, push files, etc?

I know 50 people will want to write back and say "Oh, try App X". That's not what I'm talking about. I mean almost like a Windows thing where I can just "do stuff" without having to load a Crappy application (as all the ones I've tested thus far are).

Thanks.

Joe

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    What apps have you tried? Root Explorer is highly recommended. EStrong File manager is another one, and I use SwiFTP to transfer files between Android and PC.

Android out of the box hides the system files from the end user, because most end users are not knowledgeable enough to recognize the file system or know what to do with it. That has not changed with Gingerbread.

3. novox77

novox77 Leeeroy Jennnkinnns!
    None

Jul 7, 2010
    given your username on these forums, I assume you'd be happiest being able to access your phone via a Linux shell? Have you ever used PuTTY on a desktop? or WinSCP? These applications should be very familiar to anyone who works with linux boxes. And you can do this with Android if you are rooted.

So the question is, are you rooted?

4. commandlinekid

None

Jun 6, 2011
    Thanks for the replies, that helps. I thought maybe I was missing something. Seems like it should just "be a thing" where I can map a drive without an external program. No really, it really seems like it should be part of the OS natively in some respect. Like Winders?

I've tried several of the above but I'll play with it some more now that I know it's "Definitely" not an OS capability even if you root the phone as I understand it. Unless of course I can map SMB shares (without an app) once rooted from PC's and MACs, I'll have to explore that.

I was planning to root (as they say) my phone somewhere between the store and the subway, but I then decided to wait until my Thunderbolt gets the Gingerbread update, then I'll root it. Maybe not the right thing but I have a lot going on right now.

Thanks!

5. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert
    None

Dec 6, 2009
    Nope. Apples and oranges. You're comparing a desktop OS to a mobile OS geared towards averge consumers. Granted, the latter is fully capable due to its extensibility but you will need a file manager or something to make it happen. I don't get why people constantly gripe about things that aren't included stock. A lot of things are possible because of Android's extensibility. That should be perceived as a plus in Android's favor but everyone apparently expects to be spoon fed.

Try doing this on a Blackberry, for example.

6. MyNamesTooLong

MyNamesTooLong Android Expert
    None

Jan 17, 2011
    Well if you browse the forums long enough you'll see that isn't the case. Android is great for techy people, but also meant to be easily used by the everyday user