• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Firmware Upgrades

JAshworth03

Nov 17, 2009
I just purchased an unlocked HTC Hero and plan on using it in the United States. I had a few questions about Android 2.0 and upgrading to it. I understand that the upgrade is not yet available for the Hero but when it is, is it going to be difficult for me to upgrade to the new software? Will HTC put out a release or am I going to have to use an unofficial version? Furthermore am I going to have to worry about locking my phone up everytime I do an upgrade or anything like that. (Think I-Phone firmware updates). Anyone that could answer would be greatly appreciated.

The Android OS 2.0 source code as been released, so we will probably start seeing some custom ROMs that you could install onto your Hero if you really wanted. No one really has any idea when HTC might be putting out their 2.0 update (some speculation is Dec 11th, but who knows).

If you were to upgrade to 2.0 unofficially, it would certainly require you to wipe all of your phone's information. If you were to wait for an official update, you may or may not need to wipe everything.

Regardless of whether you have to wipe your data or not, your phone will remained unlocked.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones