1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android Firmware

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by CarbonChris, Apr 6, 2016.

1. CarbonChris

CarbonChris Lurker
    None

Apr 6, 2016
    Male
    Hi everyone! Im new around here and have a quick (or maybe not so quick) questions about a new android box i got.

So i purchased an MXQ Pro box w/ S905 chipset and was wondering if i could reinstall OS fresh as the stock menu screen that the manufacturer has is nasty looking and would like to just have it look like a regular android phone, but on this box.

Can i download Android OS and just load it on this box somehow so i don't have to look at this nasty menu screen anymore?

Any help is always appreciated!

Thanks,

Chris

Advertisement

2. El Presidente

El Presidente Beware The Milky Pirate!

Jan 3, 2011
    Scotland
    Generally, no. Android needs to be tailored specifically for the device it's installed on and I can't find any ROMs or development for that device.

It's a long shot, but does it have access to the Play Store? Can you install something like Nova Launcher? That will allow some degree of customisation.

Cyberdev likes this.
  3. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    I don't see why not...

Select your firmware HERE!
    (http : //chinagadgetsreviews.com/?s=MXQ+Pro+firmware)

But...

I wouldn't risk it unless you are prepared to lose your box if the upgrade goes wrong.
    I've found these cheap boxes to be pretty sensitive when it comes to modding, customizing and updating.
    (I permanently bricked my first one on the first day I got it by trying to be too clever with the 'developer options'!) :(

Also; this is a new firmware, not an 'upgrade'.
    If it works, it'll be like having a new box. (You will lose all your previous settings and apps.)

But if you are brave there are a couple of ways you can go about doing this... either from a memory card with the image on it (or USB, even) or you can hook it up to your computer.

Connecting the box to y0ur computer is more reliable and has proven to be more stable but you need a special USB cord to connect the box to your computer.

Good luck... I would like to try this in the future as my box has Android 4.4 and I want to get Android 5.1
    But I have heard too many horror stories and I'm too yellow to give it a go!

#3 Andrew Cole, Jun 13, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2016