• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android for wife-> Stability?

ewingr

Android Enthusiast
Apr 30, 2010
www.shuttermaster.co
My wife and are are hoping to update phones soon. I am going to go with Android. We are on AT&T, so iPhone is a possibility too.

My wife currently is on a WinMo device (LG Incite), and it has been stable, but more difficult than she really is comfortable with.

She wants to see what I settle on with Android, and wants to consider same, but also would be happy with iPhone.

Her main use of the phone will be:

• Phone use (of course)
  • Blue Tooth to car
  • Google sync to calendar, hers in particluar, and maybe mine too
The calendar synch is her only motivating reason for a smart phone. Given that motivation, and some of the cool Google based apps out there (and coming, I'm sure), I have a tendency to want her on the Android.

But of course, Android is still pretty fresh. I don't want to encourage her to Android if it is going to be an experience of lockups, reboots and frustration. Of course enven needing to do that once a week will result in frustration to her.

My thoughts are that if we are careful to only install a small number of Apps that have good feedback will be the best method to assure that.

What's your thoughts and experience on this?

[EDIT]

Oh, of course a very important aspect is ease of use. I am thinking that with the flexibility of the interface for Android, having first page, or second page access to the common things will be there, but not having really used one yet, I'm not positive. For her that would be ease of finding and useing:

• Contacts
  • Voice capaibility similar to
    Call Bob at home, or
    CAll Bob on Mobile
  • Messaging (Not using messaging now, but may be doing so on next phone, some)
  • Blue Tooth on/off
  • Ease of input (onscreen keyboard)
  • Seeing if there are voice mails waiting, messages, etc
FYI...I"m considering the Samaung Galaxy S, if it ever comes to AT&T. One main reason would be for seeing the screen in sunlight, and she considers that an important feature too.

I see the bullets.

Anyways, I would say any Android device that came out this year would be okay. Since At&t only has one butchered Android device, I wouldn't really recommend it and no concrete news of them getting any other new device besides the Dell Streak, but that's more of a tablet than a phone IMO. The only other option I see is the unlocked version of the Nexus One, it won't have At&t 3G bands though. If you are open to other carriers, then the Droid Eris, Incredible, Droid, or MyTouch Slide.

From what you said though, I would definitely recommend that you get her an Android phone, or at least try. The OS is stable and you understand that you will probably have to reboot it once in awhile, right? It's like a small computer, sometimes it just needs that reboot to get everything smooth again.

Upvote 0
Interesting that ee the bullets, I still don't. ;-)

Anyway,Thanks for the thoughts. We may consider moving to Verizon. I definitely want a decent Android. Hoping for the Galaxy S.

The rumors I've been reading is that AT&T eventually will have the Galaxy, and apparently a mid-range HTC is almost iminent. But i want nothing less than Incredible. We'll see.

But the realy topic here is if my wife can be happy wiht Android. She has seen the iPhone of course, which my sister has, and she definitely likes the simplicity of the interface. I'm thinking that can be matched on the Android.

Yes, I suspect any phone requires an occasional reboot. Of course, when they require it, it is always a most inopportune time ;-)

So, just interested if any here are witnessing their wife, girlfriend or femlel friends being satisfied with the Android.

At this point, I think my wife is amicable to letting me get one, but let her use it for a short time to get a feel for it. That may be the best path to take in any event.

Re: AT&T and Android: I'm not holding my breath. I would have passed out a long time ago. We'll see how it goes.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones