• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android/Froyo 2.2 Help

TheDee95

Dec 1, 2010
My mum bought me a HtC wildfire about 4 weeks ago for christmas, yet i begged her for it earlier :D
Anyway, she bought it on tesco mobile, yet i put my o2 simcard in (from old phone) and it workeeld fine, i had to manually set up internet. Anyway, i did research on it like any other 15 yearold would and seen 2.2 and the buzz about it. Ive went on Settings. About Phone. Search for new updates and it hasnt found any, and yes im running 2.1.1. Anyway ive been looking on the web and i dont want to root my phone because i cba with the bs consequences. My question is, if i unlock my phone, will i be able to update to 2.2? Just because everyonr has it andmy phone wont find it :/
Thanka for the help!

Dan

Reactions: Chads HTC Wildfire
But isnt that basicly hacking your phone? custom firmware isnt it? :/

Rooting is seen by some as "hacking" the device.

It's basically giving access to files and areas that are locked up at the factory for a few reasons, not the least of which is to disallow removal of bloatware apps, but also to keep the general, naive user from having to return the device to be fixed after rooting and playing in the wrong areas of the phone. ;)

I would not root a phone that did not have an accompanying "unroot" regimen posted some place. Using the factory data reset option in the menu will usually not work, and a special procedure is needed to unroot if the user needs to do so in order to receive OTA updates, etc.

Upvote 0
Thanks Frisco, so if i want 2.2 I will need to root my phone?
And if so, has anyone got the safest way to root it?

Dan

you can root your wildfire with Unrevoked. It's fast and really easy. In windows can be hard to make the program work (It's pc software, you run it and connect the phone by usb), because you may have to install hboot drivers. Specially hard in Windows 7 64 bits.

On linux, really easy. Please read about it and download it from here. unrevoked

I can explain to you if you ask me to do. :D

[There is a very very little risk of bricking the phone, but it would be very strange and probably repairable, and I don't recommend flashing FroYo Custom Roms because are unstable (talking by experience). I am back to 2.1 overclocked. But if you want to do it, I can explain you how.]

Reactions: Chads HTC Wildfire
Upvote 0
Just recieved this email - (11/12/2010) 11th December 2010 at 14:03pm (GMT)

In regards to your android 2.2 enquiry, I can help you with that.
At the moment the Android 2.2 is not available for the HTC Wildfire and we haven't information of when and if it will be release, however I can advice to keep an eye on our website for future information about it.

So there are trying to say 'it is on its way' so i guess its a waiting game keep an eye on the website... -.- Hope we get it before Christmas.. Gutted my dad has Desire and he has it already just waiting for Wildfire to get it..

Hope this helped guys.. =)

Upvote 0
lolz i hope you know that these are template emails and basically like auto response to what ever you ask them HTC guy/gal read your email and clickidy click ( no typing )
template sent for the question you asked.
Froyo is coming to the wildfire before the end of the year. They are even updating the HTC magic for god sake which is a year older just wait itl be here before you know it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones