1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android, getting reset when battery taken out (?)

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by norweger, Oct 1, 2011.

1. norweger

norweger Well-Known Member
    None

Sep 27, 2011
    I have done this only once before; taken my battery out for a long time, and reinserting it. Than I come to some strange menu, sort of like a bios on a PC (by the looks). I just clicked past this that time, but does anyone know what I am talking about?

Advertisement

2. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    Sounds like you ended up in the bootloader menu.

What sort of phone is it?

norweger likes this.
  3. norweger

None

Sep 27, 2011
    It's a Desire Z. I googled "bootloader" and it looked very much like it. Looks like some old DOS stuff.

I guess it's not good it keep the battery out so long that it comes on. Do you know what harm it might do to keep the battery out and get this stuff? Does it reset anything? (I know on my old nokia, the date, clock and more got reset, so perhaps some other stuff gets reset on the HTC?)

4. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    Power off,then power on while holding volume down. Tell us if that takes you to the same screen.

norweger likes this.
  5. norweger

None

Sep 27, 2011
    +1 Scotty. Yes, that's exactly the one.

Here's the options when I turn it on:
    FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    FACTORY RESET
    SIMLOCK
    IMAGE CRC

If I only got the menu because my battery was out, fastboot must be the right things to choose.

Than I come to this menu:
    BOOTLOADER
    REBOOT
    REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    POWER DOWN

The first gets me back to the previous menu. The second starts my phone normally (yes, that's what I was looking for). And the third get's me back to where I was, and power down, I guess that's to shut of the phone (correct me if I am wrong guys)

But, the big qustion is, if I keep my battery out for a day or so, will any data be lost on the phone? (it has happened with every other phone I've used (nokia and an old ericson), so it's a relevant question)

6. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    :eek::eek: DRAGONS AHEAD. If your not familiar with rooting DO NOT go into recovery or the bootloader. You could end up with a paper weight. I'll let scotty know so he can respond.

7. Bob Cat

Bob Cat Careful, They're sharp!!
    None

Nov 17, 2010
    Midland's, South Carolina
    You should be fine leaving the battery out without data loss. Do you know if your hboot is s-on?

EarlyMon likes this.
  8. EarlyMon

EarlyMon The PearlyMon
    None

Jun 10, 2010
    New Mexico, USA
    bobcat331 is correct - you're in no danger.

And yes, that's the bootloader menu. ;)

Probably you got there by a glitch or inadvertently hitting the volume button while powering up.

Nothing to worry about. :)

9. scotty85

scotty85 Android Expert
    None

Jul 25, 2010
    as was said,this is indeed your bootloader.

the screen with this menu is known as "hboot":
    FASTBOOT
    RECOVERY
    FACTORY RESET
    SIMLOCK
    IMAGE CRC

this screen is where you can flash files by remaning PxxxIMG and placing on the root of your sd card. hboot will find such files and ask if you want to update. PxxxIMG is specific to each phone,for examble the incredible is PB31IMG,the thunderbolt is PG05IMG. if your bootloader says "s-on" at the top,you are limited to files approved by htc,as s-on is "security on". if you have s-off,you are free to flash whatever you want,but this is risky. flashing the wrong file,or a corrupt fine in hboot CAN easily lead to a bricked device. :eek:

selecting RECOVERY on a stock phone will take you to a screen with a triangle and ! you will prolly have to pull the battery to get back out. this is the inaccessible stock recovery(selecting this option on a rooted phone would take you to a custom recovery where you can flash roms,make backups,etc). FACTORY RESET is just that. it will erase all your data and restore factory settings. SIMLOCK has to do with your sim card being locked to a particular carrier. there is nothing you can do with it without special files and an engineering sim card. that last one i honestly have no idea what it does. im sure nothing that would self destruct your phone,but id prolly not select it,nonetheless ;)

pressing FASTBOOT takes you to the sencond menu:

BOOTLOADER
    REBOOT
    REBOOT BOOTLOADER
    POWER DOWN

this is "fastboot" and is a part of the bootloader where commands can be entered with ADB. with a normal, s-on hboot,your list of commands is very short. however,if an "eng s-off" or engineering bootloader exists,then using it can give you a vast selection of fastboot commands.

fastboot is particularly useful in recovery situations,where you have no custom recovery,and no OS to boot to :eek:

youve pretty much figured out what all those options do. youre pretty safe using power down and reboot in that menu.

people are right to casution you about messing with hboot and fastboot if you dont know what youre doing,but with an s-on hboot theres not much you can do to mess it up.

as BC said,your data is safe. data,settings,user installed apps,etc. are all stored in /data,wich is a hard memory partition,just like /system, /boot, /recovery etc. since this isnt flash memory,it shouldnt matter how long you leave the battery out,your data will be there,just like the OS will be. wed all be in trouble if leaving the battery out would casue the phone to forget its OS :eek: :D

anyway,hope that helps clear up what youre seeing. prolly more info than you needed ;)

norweger and EarlyMon like this.