1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

android Gmail and outlook

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by alexandroid11, May 24, 2011.

1. alexandroid11

alexandroid11 Lurker

If i check my messges on the android phone, the messges i have viewed dont download in outlook. Is this because Outlook deems the message to have been viewed and therefore passes it over for download? If so how do I sole the problem as I need to have messages replicated in all three places, android, outlook and gmail.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert

Make sure you don't have your android email client (you didn't specify which client or phone you are using) doesn't remove the email from the server. Some versions of the android email client have this set to "remove" by default (who knows why???).

3. alexandroid11

alexandroid11 Lurker

sorry it is HTC Desire S. The settings are set to 'dont delete from server'. i have vodafone looking into the issue and will post if they have a solution.

4. alexandroid11

alexandroid11 Lurker

vodafone were unable to help. spent 1 and a half hours trying but no resolution. Seems that despite both devices being set to 'leave a copy on server'=yes , only one can download the message. as in once the message has been taken down by one device, the other is unable to access it. It seems to happen only on Gmail as I can download other emails fine to both devices.

5. alexandroid11

alexandroid11 Lurker

can you synch emails through desk top app or is there another 3rd party that coudl do that. Clumsy workaround but at the moment I will try anything...

6. jimdroid

jimdroid Android Expert

"It seems to happen only on Gmail as I can download other emails fine to both devices."

So, Outlook/AndroidEmailClient is working correctly?

gMail has no setting for server deletion. If you can see it on one device, you can see it on all devices, assuming you are using the Android gMail client.

You can use third party email clients to read gmail, but you give up some things to do that (such as threading and the ability to tag with multiple labels). Third party email clients, such as K9, can allow for explicit server deletion control.

But, I have to confess, I'm not sure exactly what it is you don't understand here. You shouldn't need to sync anything to get gMails both on your phone and on your PC, as that's one of the main features of gMail.

7. takeshi

takeshi Android Expert

How are your email apps configured to access your gmail account? That can definitely have an effect on how things work and without such details you're not going to get very useful responses. Is Outlook configured to use POP? IMAP? Are you using the gmail app on your device or some other mail client? Always include details with any email question. Everyone isn't using the same accounts/apps/setups.

Actually, sync is required -- that's the point of sync. It shouldn't require extraordinary measures but things can get a little more complicated when adding Outlook to the mix. OP probably wouldn't have any problems if the gmail site was used instead of Outlook but I'm guessing the OP has reasons for using Outlook (I know I do).

8. woop

woop novacane (OFWGKTA)

HTC Desire S Forum

The HTC Desire S release date was March 2011. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 768GB RAM, Snapdragon S2 processor, and 1450mAh battery.

March 2011
Release Date
Reviews