1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

android gps apps

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by telcar, Oct 2, 2011.

1. telcar

telcar Lurker
    None

Oct 2, 2011
    Hi im just getting started with the android os and i figerd this was as good of a place as any to start. Ok ive got an lg ally running android 2.2.2 today is my second day having it, i rooted it yesterday ben trying to get some of the crap out of there that isant needed so i have two questions why are there some many gps apps on the android stock theres like 5 car home, latitude, maps, navigation and places, does each app do something diffrant or what can i get rid of them all and just use one realy good gps app or what

and what default app does the android not need which ones can i uninstall with out messing up the os

Advertisement

2. ASC

ASC I'm Shy
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Male
    Construction Management
    Phoenix, AZ
    I think Maps, Navigation, Places, and possibly Latitude are all linked.

"Maps" is Google Maps. I use it all the time to help me find places and see where they are in relationship to my location.
    "Places" is linked to Maps to search for stores, restaurants, bars, businesses, etc...
    "Navigation" is the actual GPS Navigator that will show you how to get to places.
    "Latidude" ... Not Sure... I don't use it.

They will all work independently and/or together with eachother.

3. telcar

telcar Lurker
    None

Oct 2, 2011
    i dont understand why google has got to strech everything out what is the reason for 5 icons for one app and does anybody no anything about what default apps i can get rid of

4. ASC

ASC I'm Shy
    None

Mar 27, 2010
    Male
    Construction Management
    Phoenix, AZ
    Well, for example, If you know the address to somewhere you want to go you can just open up the navigator type it in and be on your way. If you don't know the address and search for it through "Maps" or "Places" you can click on the address when you find it and it brings up the navigator for you to use. It can make it easier to use so you don't have to open up a single app and dig through it for the part of it you need to use. With that being said, I don't use the "Places" stand alone app. I usually just open up "Maps" and search from there. I guess it's all just down to preference. I happen to like them separated so I don't have to dig into one app to find it's features.

5. Bnice

Bnice Guest
    None
    Well this is the beauty of Android. You have choices. You can't get rid of the native apps unless your are rooted.

6. 916x10

916x10 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 13, 2010
    You can't delete Latitude/G+ Messenger/Navigation or Places without uninstalling Maps at the same time, they're all bundled with the Maps app. I tried getting rid of the one's I didn't ever use either but it was a no go as I need maps.

7. telcar

telcar Lurker
    None

Oct 2, 2011
    ok getting off the gps subject what default apps can i get rid of with out messing up the android os