• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android hardware fragmentation

if youre on the android platform, you shouldnt have to relearn the buttons if you replace your phone.

That's the beauty of it. You don't have to. There will be a replacement phone available with the buttons in the same location if you prefer them that way, or if you want to try something different, there's that option too. Oh, and the buttons still have the same icon and perform the same functions, they are just in a different position in the phone. When you shop for a new car, do you rule out all the models with lift handles because your current car has a thumb button and you just can't handle the variation? Sheesh, god help you in a restroom with different types of flush handles.

its a pathetic and archaic model. just as archaic as the trackball on the nexus one.

Spoken like someone who has never used one. They come in handy. It may not be often, but when you have to position a cursor in a body of text, it's infinitely more efficient than trying to tap a specific location on a 3.5" - 4" screen with a 3/4" wide finger.

Reactions: Stuntman
Upvote 0
Sure that's why all auto manufacturers put all the controls for trivial things like headlights, windshield wipers, etc. all in the same place across every make and model of vehicle. Because people cannot fathom the idea of a button being six inches from the place where they learned it should be. If your personal experience is that it is hard to adjust based on a minor variation,I would argue that is your shortcoming, not the manufacturers.

This isn't a very good analogy IMO. The buttons (as shown above) aren't different shapes, sizes, and distances apart. They are simply jumbled (and by that I mean simply not in the same order). Perhaps this is a troll post (I didn't look at it that way at first), but I don't think the point is necessarily bad. And FWIW I do think VW tries to change things like headlight control up a little too much from other manufacturers for really no good reason.

Upvote 0
Spoken like someone who has never used one. They come in handy. It may not be often, but when you have to position a cursor in a body of text, it's infinitely more efficient than trying to tap a specific location on a 3.5" - 4" screen with a 3/4" wide finger.

Perhaps. The iPhone does THAT better though IMO, without the track ball nonesense.

Upvote 0
Perhaps. The iPhone does THAT better though IMO, without the track ball nonesense.

Could be that Apple's algorithm for averaging location over a wide variable touch location is better than what Android provides. The trackball on the N1 has other uses as well, I just gave one example as I was was just pointing out that it's not an archaic and useless feature ... at least for me.

Upvote 0
if youre on the android platform, you shouldnt have to relearn the buttons if you replace your phone.

its a pathetic and archaic model. just as archaic as the trackball on the nexus one.

Android defines the OS... not how the hardware has to be.

I consider a model that forces all hardware to be laid out the same, eliminating the freedom for individual phones to try new things that improve and distinguish them to me the "archaic and pathetic" model. If you want a platform run by an OCD hardware control freak, Apple will happily take your business. Android is about freedom and flexibility.

I can't believe people are getting so uptight about buttons. Are you incapacitated if you change jobs and the men's bathroom is to the right of the women's bathroom instead of being on the left like at your old job?

I'm no spring chicken, but it only takes me a few minutes to adjust to the unique controls of any new device.

Upvote 0
That's the beauty of it. You don't have to. There will be a replacement phone available with the buttons in the same location if you prefer them that way, or if you want to try something different, there's that option too. Oh, and the buttons still have the same icon and perform the same functions, they are just in a different position in the phone. When you shop for a new car, do you rule out all the models with lift handles because your current car has a thumb button and you just can't handle the variation? Sheesh, god help you in a restroom with different types of flush handles.

yea. trackballs are so handy.

thats why there isnt a single modern smartphone that ships with it right now.

Upvote 0
Android defines the OS... not how the hardware has to be.

I consider a model that forces all hardware to be laid out the same, eliminating the freedom for individual phones to try new things that improve and distinguish them to me the "archaic and pathetic" model. If you want a platform run by an OCD hardware control freak, Apple will happily take your business. Android is about freedom and flexibility.

I can't believe people are getting so uptight about buttons. Are you incapacitated if you change jobs and the men's bathroom is to the right of the women's bathroom instead of being on the left like at your old job?

I'm no spring chicken, but it only takes me a few minutes to adjust to the unique controls of any new device.
you're doing a really bad job defending android

right, because the iphone is the only other phone right now. Windows Phone 7 allowing different types of hardware but restricting the button layout doesnt exist according to you.

you are so narrow minded its funny.

Upvote 0
Could be that Apple's algorithm for averaging location over a wide variable touch location is better than what Android provides. The trackball on the N1 has other uses as well, I just gave one example as I was was just pointing out that it's not an archaic and useless feature ... at least for me.
windows phone 7's algorithm and webOS's algorithm must also be better according to that logic.

Upvote 0
The knobs, buttons, and levers in my friends' cars aren't in exactly the same place or work exactly the same way either when I borrow their cars, but I hop in and drive off anyhow all the same, and in a few minutes have adjusted just fine and get on with my life and the task at-hand.
just admit its a pain for people who have to switch phones on the same platform the RELEARN the mechanisms.

Upvote 0
Perhaps if they were all soft buttons that you could assign and arrange, it would "solve" this "problem" however it would create others. Frankly I don't think it's worth the effort just to appease some naysayers.

Some phones have trackballs while some have trackpads. Others have a four-way rocker and some only have a single hardware button. Some use micro usb while others use mini and some are proprietary. If we follow the OP's logic, whe might as well all just get iPhones because you're going to have to sacrifice something to get that kind of industry-wide consistency.
theres no effort in it except setting requirements. windows phone 7 devices are unified, they all have the same experience. its great.

no modern phone has a trackball or trackpad

Upvote 0
theres no effort in it except setting requirements. windows phone 7 devices are unified, they all have the same experience. its great.

no modern phone has a trackball or trackpad

Okay, we see you are here to take the heat off of WP7 abysmal sales figures by trying to create mountains out of molehills. But I agree, WP7 phones are unified in their mediocrity.

Upvote 0
10x1207gj73s8x.jpg

they cant even get the buttons in the same place
This post illustrates the beautiful flexibility of Android.

Android is not like the BORG - assimilate or die!!!

With Android you have choices, and it's awesome that you can do this with Android!!!

With iPhone / WP7 it's like being assimilated by the BORG. And you know that's bad!!! :eek::eek:

Upvote 0
with android, you have to relearn where your buttons are

its not as easy as you think. when you have a habit of pressing a certain location and expecting a result, then you will see how fun it is when you press back instead of search.
Huh?

I switch between my Epic and Evo all the time, not to mention using my Captivate right along with my Evo. I'm not a young teenager who can rapidly learn stuff either. But I have zero issues with the different button placements. It simply is not an issue.

I've had six Android devices (look at my profile). I can say with confidence this has never been an issue, and is simply not an issue.

This is such an hugely overblown ruckus over nothing.

Reactions: lunatic59
Upvote 0
with android, you have to relearn where your buttons are

its not as easy as you think. when you have a habit of pressing a certain location and expecting a result, then you will see how fun it is when you press back instead of search.

No ... you ... don't.

You're flawed logic is incredibly tiresome. You take the observation that some devices have the standard buttons (all performing the same function) in different locations and draw the erroneous conclusion that NO devices have the buttons in the same location. If you have a phone with buttons in a particular order and it is imperative that you keep them in that order because you are incapable of learning a new pattern of behavior, then you have the choice of phones with that particular configuration.

For most people it is a non-issue, but for those for whom it matters, they still have a CHOICE. Got it?

Upvote 0
People who cant adjust to the slight changes are also the people who are only getting 1 phone every 2 years, for the people who are constantly changing our phones, we have a much higher tolerance for change and almost expect it. Also the average user (note not the people on this forums) doesnt memorize the location they look down at the keys to see what it does.

Upvote 0
People who cant adjust to the slight changes are also the people who are only getting 1 phone every 2 years, for the people who are constantly changing our phones, we have a much higher tolerance for change and almost expect it. Also the average user (note not the people on this forums) doesnt memorize the location they look down at the keys to see what it does.
Exactly why this is a non-issue.

If people who can't tolerate the change only change phones every 2 years, then it's a non-issue. By 2 years from now, the OS on a new phone will be different, keyboard on a new phone will be different, and the buttons will be different. So who cares how a phone's button varies from another phone in that case, since they don't change that often?

The buttons for someone who changes a lot is again irrelevant. What's more of a drastic change is OS (Android 2.2 vs 2.1 from my Evo vs my Epic), and the UI layer (HTC Sense vs Touchwize from my Evo vs my Epic). The buttons changes? They ain't nothing!

Upvote 0
your analogy doesnt align at all.

consumer devices of the same family should have consistency for the best user experience. windows phone 7, for example, has hardware requirements to have the buttons in the same order in the same place. This takes away any confusion that a consumer will have, and makes the experience between devices of the same OS the same.

Fine.

Disneyland is so fragmented, their rides are all different! That's why I stick to the teacups.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones