1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Android Health - What can I do to keep my phone healthy?

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by Woolfy, Dec 30, 2011.

1. Woolfy

Woolfy Lurker
    None

Dec 29, 2011
    Hey guys.

After recently getting my new phone, (Samsung Galaxy S2), I became quite paranoid, about whether the speed of my phone has decreased, whether the camara quality has decreased and a few 'Force Close' messages really scared me.

I want to know what can I do to keep my phone healthy...?

Woolfy.

Advertisement

2. AndroidSPCS

AndroidSPCS Android Expert
    None

Nov 12, 2009
    geek
    USA
    I understand your concern. The SGS2 is a beast of a phone, and should be "healthy" for a very long time.

If you are really paranoid, root the phone, and put lean ROMs on it, such as those from XDA, that have Carrier IQ stripped out, etc.

But really you should be fine with stock.

3. schwenger

schwenger Member
    None

Oct 11, 2011
    Hudson Valley, New York
    This^, as long as you download decently coded applications, clear your internet cookies/cache every now and then and don't overheat/drop the phone it should preform fine. But like he said above, if you're that paranoid then a custom rom/kernel can't be matched.

4. jerofld

jerofld Fixing stuff is not easy
    None

May 10, 2011
    Male
    I fix stuff
    Over there <points>
    Your phone is fine. Force closures happen. And your CPU and camera will be solid for a good long time.

5. argedion

argedion The TechnoFrog
    None

Jun 20, 2011
    The Infernal Swamp
    Certain things you can do to help make it last are 1 stay away from those "Boost" apps they are garbage and most guess what use resources. Also they are redundant. Android will continue to load programs based on use. There are debates about task killers all over the web and forums. The main thing is really not the memory its the cpu that is what slows down the device. its how much each app is "chuncking" from the cpu.

one of the best ways to keep things swift and clean is to keep down the apps. I know we all get app crazy and want to try this one or that one. honestly though those are the things that slow our devices down they use large chunks of cpu. While rooting will certainly help by allowing you to just remove apps that you normally could not remove (carrier/OEM bloatware) however its not always the practical solution for some users. To help with battery life for instance if you are in a wifi area turn off mobile data. You don't need it for phone calls or text messages (you do for mms) and if you have wifi you have internet on the phone. This alone will help the battery last longer. I have profiles setup on my phone which turns on and off wifi and mobile for me for the situation I am in. Like work where I don't get a good signal because of the electronics I'm around I have all data turned off. when I go to lunch I'll switch to my travel profile and check a few things then switch back to work. Radio's always looking for a signal will drain the battery down bad. Also adjust the dimness of your screen a dimmer screen is less resourceful on the battery.

mikedt likes this.
  6. Crashdamage

Crashdamage Android Expert
    None

Feb 25, 2011
    Mostly retired
    Kansas City, Mo.
    I don't do much. No widgets. Careful what I install and install only what I need. That's about it. I don't use cache cleaners, task killers, memory optimizers, signal boosters, antivirus, firewall - none of that stuff. Never have problems.

mikedt and funkylogik like this.
  7. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    How I keep my phone healthy:

1. Know your phone. No matter how much care and attention you give to your phone, it isn't going to thrive if you don't know its specific needs.

2. Make sure the container or pot you are using is big enough. Phones need room to grow. A sure fire phone killer is allowing it to become to crowded and choked.

3. Provide the right amount of sunlight. Phones generally need either full sunlight, partial sunlight, or partial shade. Check with the manufacturer's instructions for this. As a general rule don't leave it baking in the hot sun for extended periods.

4. Water the phone only as often as needed. Again check with the manufacturer's instructions for the exact watering requirements for your particular device.

8. BRAINZ2013

BRAINZ2013 Android Expert
    None

Feb 21, 2012
    Male
    MECHANIC OBDII. NOS. FUEL INJECTION. Saving a Life
    Park Ave., HELL
    You forgotten to say leave in warm environment device just like people it gets cold and die and also give it vitamins to keep it healthy and free of viruses :eek::D:oops::p

mikedt and funkylogik like this.
  9. Mikestony

Mikestony ~30% Carbon Black ±

Sep 10, 2010
    Male
    Next to you
    Closing this 4 year old thread.
    OP hasn't been back since 2012 and doesn't need to be bumped any more

/thread closed

mikedt, funkylogik and codesplice like this.