• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android IAP Games

It depends on how the IAP scheme is set up. I avoid ones that make you buy consumables in the game in order to advance. There are many that let you play the opening levels to get a feel for how the game is with a one time option to buy the entire game. I purchase these frequently and have no problem with this approach.

Upvote 0
I agree, the 'pay to play' style of games where you need to buy resources to progress can get very tedious.
I don't have a problem with in-app purchases, so long as the purchases aren't necessary to progress.
But then, the developers deserve to get paid for their work, so is it really that bad. Ultimately if you like a game, why not pay for it? Nintendo or Sony don't give away their games for free.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. The choice is yours ;)

Reactions: Unforgiven
Upvote 0
Some games, I don't mind the grind. I've been playing Star Wars Heroes for months and only bought about a tenners worth of gems.
^^^I don't mind games that don't cripple gameplay without IAP, but have it there for folks that want to move along a little quicker. It is really about how it is implemented and a particular user's preferences.

Upvote 0
^^^I don't mind games that don't cripple gameplay without IAP, but have it there for folks that want to move along a little quicker. It is really about how it is implemented and a particular user's preferences.

The worst one for me was Dungeon Keeper. If you didn't spend gems, things could take days (real time) to build. Zzzzzz!
Seems to be a common tactic with EA games though. Real Racing is another one where progress is so slow without the $$

Upvote 0
I agree, the 'pay to play' style of games where you need to buy resources to progress can get very tedious.
I don't have a problem with in-app purchases, so long as the purchases aren't necessary to progress.
But then, the developers deserve to get paid for their work, so is it really that bad. Ultimately if you like a game, why not pay for it? Nintendo or Sony don't give away their games for free.
If you don't like it, don't buy it. The choice is yours
wink.png
Nintendo/PlayStation/Xbox don't give out games, they charge for it but at least you're getting a full game worth playing. On smartphones, rarely can I find a game that keeps me interested for more than 3 to 5mins. 😜

Upvote 0
I play some free games here and there to pass some time but if I want to sink hours of gameplay then thats where my huge library of paid games comes in. Have not regretted buying games on Android. There are a lot of good premium games out there but people aren't looking since they're so turned off by the free games and the atrocious IAPs.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones