• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android in car?

JimR123

Nov 15, 2009
UK
Hi all,

I don't know if I've missed something, but wouldn't it make sense to start making in-car entertainment systems that run on Android?

I've read about some tawaiinese car manufacturer that I've never heard of using Android in-car, but it sounded like a cut-down version.

What I'd like to see in my car is a touchscreen device where I can choose my own music playing software, choose my own satnav software, and so on. It wouldn't need to have a CD player, as far as I am concerned, just some kind of extractable storage device, or maybe just a place to slot a usb stick without it showing while being used.

Of course it would have a place for a SIM card, to allow mobile data access. Would be nice if it could be a wifi hotspot too, so that occupants of the car would be able to get online through it, using netbooks and so on.

Internet browsing, google maps, standard contact information, calendar with reminders, and of course any other app from the market!

I'm salivating just thinking about it, and surely it wouldn't cost much more than a handset to produce, maybe even less as it doesn't have to be squeezed into such a small package.

It would be a standard car radio fitting style device (double DIN, I think it's called in the UK).

Does such a thing already exist?

I do not believe so but I am pretty sure, if not positive, that Mac had integrated a Mac OS into the dashboard to make it almost an iPad that controls the inter-dynamics of the car itself. Pretty awesome idea, but if it ran on an Android OS the possibilities with open source would be absolutely endless... sweet idea Jim.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones