• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Android Innovations

avi!

Lurker
Jan 1, 2011
Whenever Steve launches he uses the same line, "Everything changes...Again"

Apple is always known for innovation. I wanted to know are there any new things which came with Android (or Android running devices) ?

PS : We all know how know Apple works, first they don't give which is common in all phones and year later, they launch it and people say "Whoa, my iPhone got Multitasking :p". But neither I hate Apple nor I am a fanboy. But I have to respect them, if they really have innovated something new where others failed. But I want to know what are the new things that came with Android.

Thank you all :)

Whenever Steve launches he uses the same line, "Everything changes...Again"

Apple is always known for innovation. I wanted to know are there any new things which came with Android (or Android running devices) ?

PS : We all know how know Apple works, first they don't give which is common in all phones and year later, they launch it and people say "Whoa, my iPhone got Multitasking :p". But neither I hate Apple nor I am a fanboy. But I have to respect them, if they really have innovated something new where others failed. But I want to know what are the new things that came with Android.

Thank you all :)

Android beat iOS to all the major carriers. :p

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
The list of differences is exhaustive - so I'll take a different approach to your question. Let's look at where the differences come from - it matters.

The primary thing about Android isn't so much raw innovation in a single device as it's about innovation in integration.

Apple is a hardware company that writes pretty decent software to move their iron.

Android is a software project from a software company that's very appealing to hardware companies to move their iron.

So, Android phones are very competitive with each other as each vendor tries to add value with either extra software features or extra hardware features.

An iPhone is one thing - Android phones come as many different things.

The iPhone's operating system - iOS - works only one way. Android is a software system with many standardizations, but able to present to the user to appear to work in many ways.

iOS is using the same multitasking scheme as Windows 95. Android is using the Linux multitasking and is more similar to Apple's OS X (a kind of unix, as is Linux) or desktop Windows 7 in that regard.

Using a properly set-up iPhone is liking using a great phone. Using a properly set-up Android is like using a tiny laptop that also makes phone calls.

Because of the multitasking architecture, sales pitches aside, you're going to be able to do more with Android - it's just a fact.

Android is an open source code project - unlike iOS, anyone can and many, many do reach into that Android code repository and re-do Android into their own image. If you root your Android phone (our analog to an iPhone jailbreaking) then you can add those various operating system re-dos.

Even if you don't root your phone, you can put on add-on products that completely change the look and feel of your front-end in all sorts of ways. Or you just buy those variations by selecting which maker to go with - HTC, Motorola, Sony, LG and Samsung all provide different user experiences.

So, Android you can make your own.

One of the most innovative vehicles ever was the Ford Model T (T-model to many). As Henry said, you could have it any color you wanted so long as it was black - and it came first.

The iPhone is the Model T in the user-friendly smartphone world. Android is the fleet of possibilities that you can buy as a Euro-sedan, hot-rod, truck or even a Model T look-alike.

There's room for both types and the world would be a boring place if we all thought the same way.

Apple didn't invent the smartphone, they invented a less arcane front end and some richer application experiences compared to what was out there. That was then, this is now. Since then, they've changed their interface zero, updated their phones to 3G (you can get Androids doing 4G), increased their screen resolution by a factor of 4 (without giving any bigger screen choices) and added 15 year old multitasking.

Still, it's a very good phone for those that want that sort of thing and Android is a better phone because it does more, comes in more than just one way, works in more than just one way, and works great out of the box or can be customized so that you can make it yours.

Finally - Android apps are less expensive. My buddy looked over one of my free apps and put it's exact equivalent on his iPhone for $6.

Reactions: Kelmar
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones