1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Android inside my 2014 Kia Soul +

Discussion in 'Other Androids' started by UBRocked, Jan 10, 2014.

1. UBRocked

UBRocked VZW Nexus Please!!!
    None

Jan 31, 2010
    Ohio
    Anyone else have a new Hyundai or Kia with the Android Navigation Package? I believe the 2014 Hyundai Genesis and 2014 Kia Soul are the only cars that currently have this but it sounds like this will be the "infotainment" package of the future for both car lineups. 8" capacitive touchscreen is awesome and pretty responsive with a decent pixel count (although I can't confirm what the resolution is cause there is so little information out there on this).

Updates are supposed to be coming in 2014 but right now Pandora is really the only app on there...and funny enough, it only syncs with Apple devices and not Android devices. Even the web browser that was built in and showed off in the article below was removed on the production model I have.

Android Goes for a Ride in the New 2014 Kia Soul | Kia Soul

I'm hoping for the ability to side load apps...or even run something like Cyanogen down the road (but I don't think that is likely). Having apps like Facebook, YouTube, Netflix, HBO Go, Watch ESPN, Podkicker, would be pretty useful considering this is an 8" screen that can easily be seen from the back seat. Lot of uses...lot of possibilities...but a lot of nothing available right now :( . I'd be lying if I said that having an Android based Navi system had no bearing on which car I bought.

Here is a pic of the car and the head unit's "info" screen:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Advertisement

2. Rukbat

Rukbat Android Expert
    None

Jan 16, 2012
    Male
    Being retired and writing Tasker tasks.
    Fayetteville, NC, USA
    One reason they won't put the ability to sideload (or install legitimately) apps is that it's illegal almost all over to be able to watch a movie from the driver's seat - and it's too easy to install a video app. (Even the web browser can be used to go to Youtube, which would be a violation.)

With the ability to use your phone to watch video, the laws will probably morph over the next few years or so, because you CAN use the phone to navigate, but you can't use it to watch a movie, and it's too easy to hit the back button when you see the flashing red lights.