1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Android is starting to annoy me

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by substring, Apr 30, 2014.

1. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

I have been using Android phone since the Galaxy 1 and currently using the Galaxy S 3. I love Android until recently that it begins to annoy me.

From the dropdown screen, when I set the sound to "OFF", I assume no sound will be made. But then I realized that alarm will bypass this setting. It happened a couple times when I was in the movie theater and it's annoying.

My carrier is Verizon. They pushed their own Verizon Messaging app to my phone. It overrides the default messaging app such that the default messaging app no longer gives me the notification. I deleted the Verizon Messaging app, but it did not help. I went to the settings to make sure notification is "ON". But still I cannot get any notification.

Does anyone know how to fix these two problems, especially the first one?

By the way, I am on Android 4.3.

Thanks!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. dibblebill

dibblebill Android Expert

That's not Android you should be annoyed with. Verizon, maybe.

As for the alarm, not sure, other than to turn off your alarms during movies. Some clock apps and ROM's do offer a "silence alarm" function.

3. Omar Days

Omar Days Android Expert

why not just turn the alarms off prior to putting the phone on silent mode? Sorry to sound rude, but this is your problem, not android's.

Think about it from this point of view. If android was designed where if you put the phone on silent that it also silences the alarm, how would people wake up from naps or whatever if they put their phone on silent because they didnt want to be disturbed from calls and texts? They would never hear their alarm lol

4. Rxpert83

Rxpert83 Dr. Feelgood

I've moved this to the s3 forums where others with your device can make suggestions to try to help.

Mikestony likes this.
  5. Hadron

Hadron Smoke me a kipper...
    VIP Member

There are a number of sound profiles apps which you could use to create a really silent "silent" profile (i.e. turn alarm volume to zero as well as ringer/notifications).

Can't advise with the VZW software problem. All I can suggest is making sure that your preferred message app is set as the default (though I think that setting only appeared in 4.4) and setting up the notification in it again.

6. substring

substring Android Enthusiast

Thanks for all the replies. If I have to go to Settings-->Sounds to turn things off, it is not very practical or intuitive. By the way, there was another incident when I had the Sound Off from the pulldown menu, my phone vibrated and lit up when someone called me. That should never happen.

I remember after my upgrade to 4.2, every time when I got a phone call or something, the camera light was on. It was an Android bug and I had found the solution online to turn it off. Naturally, I suspect my sound problem is also an upgrade problem. That's why I am posting it here to see if anyone has experienced the same issue. Or maybe my phone is starting to fall apart.

7. BynoUK

BynoUK Android Enthusiast

Can't sympathise with the alarm issue as it's doing what it's supposed to, alarms are set with the intention of notifying the user. If I don't want my alarm to go off then I turn the alarm off.

The messaging issue is a carrier issue unfortunately.

I'd imagine there's a quick toggle to the alarm function you can grab from the play store, and of course rooting usually solves everything :D

8. mydian

mydian Android Expert

That's not an Android bug, it's a Samsung bug. Samsung modifies Android and really made a mess out of the 4.3 update.

It's always best to do a factory reset after a major operating system update. You obviously don't have to, but it helps to avoid problems.

Rxpert83 likes this.

Samsung Galaxy S3 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S3 release date was May 2012. Features and Specs include a 4.8" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4412 Quad processor, and 2100mAh battery.

May 2012
Release Date
Reviews