• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root "Android is upgrading..." on every reboot

Hi,

I'm having this issue where I get a pop-up window saying "Android is upgrading..." and "Starting applications..." every time I reboot the phone. It's not the same as when I wipe the dalvik cache where it states "Optimizing applications # through #" for about a minute or two on reboot. What I'm seeing is about 1 to 3 seconds.

I did a complete factory reset, re-flashed the ICS RUU as well as the ROM. It was fine in the beginning and for quite a while after I reinstalled my apps but it eventually came back.

I tried uninstalling apps a few at a time and it didn't change anything until I got down to the last four and then it went away. So, I then tried restoring from nandroid backup and just removing those four apps but it didn't work that time. The issue was unaffected.

I realize that the symptoms point to one or more of my apps but I was wondering if there is some kind of diagnostic logger that I can use to record whats happening during reboot that might offer some hints as to which one(s). One possible indirect culprit might be Superuser. I've had a permanent issue with updating the SU binary. When I do, I lose the ability to add new root apps. I keep root for existing root apps, but SU won't detect any requests from new apps. Therefore, I simply don't update the binary and I have no problems with new apps.

Any suggestions or recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

In the process of trying to nail down this problem, I've discovered that it appears to have something to do with the relationship between superuser and RezROM.

Since I first flashed RezROM, I haven't been able to update superuser or the binary in any way. In addition to downloading from the market, I've tried re-installing superuser with Amon Ra, flashing it from the sdcard in recovery and from adb. No matter how I do it, I either lose root or it shuts down superuser's ability to detect requests from new root apps. I tried to find a solution but had no success so I just decided to ignore it as long as it didn't effect functionality. I've had root app issues here and there but always chalked it up to a bug with that particular app and either found a fix or ditched the app altogether.

I've been able to isolate superuser as the cause of the "upgrading" message issue with several full wipes, RezROM and RUU re-flashes. In my last three attempts to narrow it down, I did completely sterile RUU and RezROM flashes and used Root Explorer and Root Checker as test apps. In each attempt, I lost root and the "upgrading" messages returned as soon as I updated superuser or the binary. I tried doing the same with the stock ROM and with one of the BAMF ROMs and these problems don't occur with either of them.

So, with the "Android is upgrading" message popping up repeatedly, having new stability problems with previously dependable apps and increasing system bugs, it's apparent that the consequences of having such a severely outdated superuser has finally caught up with me. It definitely looks like RezROM is the problem and unless there are some options that I might try to fix it myself, it's up to the developer. I've contacted them but I'm not optimistic that they'll be willing to put any time into coming up with a fix since the Rezound is so "dated".

Reactions: scotty85
Upvote 0
I did try a few when I first got the phone and I am currently looking at new ROMs, but I'd be surprised if there's one with all or even most of the same features.

I'm very partial to the darker themed sense ROMs. RezROM is perfect in that regard. As far as customization settings, RezROM is loaded. I've compared the features of several other ROMS side-by-side with RezROM and most don't come close. The ones that do have bright themes with a lot of white backgrounds. Browsing what's available is difficult because most don't give screenshots beyond the home screen so there's no way to know how it's themed without installing it.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones