• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

android + japanese letters

tneva82

Jun 20, 2011
My first android(or even any kind of smart phone) is on it's way. So maybe it's already working or maybe not. I don't know but figured I'll ask so I can start using it rightaway rather than having to ask after phone arrives.

Anyway I hope android phones are capable of showing japanese letters? In particular when on websites. If yes then does it require something extra to be done or does it show automatically?

I can technically live without support(I can always reprogram my site to show them in romanised text if desired. Just not going to be as efficient) but if it's possible I would prefer to see those hiragana's and kanji's. You don't learn to read them as well as latin alphabet if you don't keep practicing it :)

Mine works fine :p

Makes sense as I'm in Japan.

fwiw I just did a web search for 'korean' and it appears that my browser can display that too. Hopefully that means you should be covered?

Well dunno. How much of that is seller customisable?-) Ie what's the danger the store I bought(or whoever sells to that store) skips on that on basis that not many finns are interested in reading japanese text in a first place ;)

However looks like it's atleast possible to get them working if you can use.

Just got tad worried when I tried work phone(nokia E52) to check my web page and it resulted in blank boxes. Then I found UTF-8 encoding from phone(which page uses) and...blank boxes. ARGH! Hopefully better luck with android than this.

As I said it's not critical in the sense I can simply program switch to page that changes it to romanised text. Biggest problem is figuring out how to get the romanised text into text files. Do I type them manually or could I program piece to excel script to autoconvert it into text file? However being able to see them in hiragana keeps me working on drilling them to backbone so that I could eventually read it at faster speed(and not make silly mistakes between われね...).

Upvote 0
I'm not sure if my phone has some sort of special 'asian language support' that US phones may or may not have.

If you're just worried about webpages, it might be down to the browser you use. I use Dolphin HD, and there's a bunch of different text encoding options; right now it's set to ISO-8859-1 - not that I;m familiar with what that means. But I don't recall coming across any language that it won't display.

You may/not be aware, but you can choose the keyboard/input method you use (downloadable from the market) and there's a few that support Japanese.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones